JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Can A Smell Help YOU Change Your Mind?

First...I want to emphasize that it does not have to be a literal smell...but in the example I will provide...it may have well contributed to a disciple of Jesus be able to re-set his thinking...to alter his mind set based on the physical sensation of a smell...an odor that brought back such a sickening sensation of betrayal and abandonment that it may have been divine intervention in this case...for the express purpose of allowing this apostle to resume his service to Jehovah.

Who am I speaking of? And of what scriptures do I refer?

Peter...and the two scriptural references are as follows: John 18:18 and John 21:9.

What, you may ask...do these two verses have in common?

Friends...these are the only two scriptures in the entire Bible that mention the same Greek word...anthrakian.

What does this Greek word mean? Simply put...charcoal.

Why does this matter?

In order to understand the sheer significance and magnitude of these two verses...please consider who they are used in reference towards...and I promise...it will become crystal clear!

John 18:18: "Now the slaves and the officers were standing around a charcoal fire they had made, because it was cold and they were warming themselves. Peter also was standing with them and warming himself."

Notice the word charcoal...and notice the context in which it was used.

Peter was in the process of denying his master...imagine him standing next to the fire. Imagine the smell of a charcoal fire...it has such a distinctive odor...it would be indelibly inked into his brain. Every single time he smelled that odor...his mind would surely snap back to the very moment he had turned into a coward and denied knowing the Son of God.

Now please consider how Jesus took the opportunity to turn a negative into a positive...please turn over to John  21:9: "When they came ashore, they saw there a charcoal fire with fish lying on it and bread."

Do you get it?

Imagine Peter smelling that odor as he approached Jesus...imagine how that smell would have made him feel!

Do you see the point?

Jesus took a negative smell and turned it into a positive...he would allow NOTHING to linger that could affect his disciple's ability to carry out their work. He knew how effective Peter could be...but he had to allow Peter's senses to accept that he had truly been forgiven.

To again highlight the side note...those are the only two verses in the entire Bible that use this particular Greek word...thus emphasizing the importance of how a simple smell can help readjust someone's view of spiritual matters. 

It may not be a smell...but has anything helped YOU readjust your view of Jehovah and his organization?

I have had several such instances...and I can truly appreciate the delicate manner in which Jesus chose to readjust him...it may have been subtle to others...but it was a true slap in the face to the apostle Peter.

May we all continue to respond to the little things...and may Jehovah continue to bless each and every single one of you!