JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Who was King Kanadalanu

Who was King Kanadalanu?

Here is what I know, yet I can be wrong on this. Who is Kanadalanu? He was supposed to be the king of Babylonia before Nabopolassar for 21 years. He is a very mysterious king. Yes, he was mentioned on the Uruk Kings List. This list was made around 400 years after he ruled.

He is on business tablets, yet there are no records on him building anything, did not make any inscriptions, nor mentioning engaging in campaigns as well. Other kings did mention their activities, yet Kanadalanu did not. Plus, his name does not include any god names like other kings during that time.

Nabopolassar supposed to rule after Kandalanu in Babylonia for 21 years. He mentioned about himself in building projects, wars, and made inscription of himself too. Here is one below.

https://www.kchanson.com/ANCDOCS/meso/nabo.html

Yes, he mentioned being son of nobody and other kings mentioned the same thing. Referring themselves that way was indicating their humility to their gods.

From Rocio Da Riva. “The Figure of Nabopolassar in Late Achaemenid and Hellenistic Historiographic Tradition” 2017 p.92 mentioned: here is what Nabopolassar says (I underline it too)

6′–8′ As noted by Frahm, this royal blessing has parallels in the narrative part of the Nabopolassar C32 inscription I 7–23:97

When I was young, although I was the son of a nobody, I constantly sought the sanctuaries of my lords Nabû and Marduk. My mind was preoccupied with the establishment of their cultic ordinances and the complete performance of their rituals. My attention was directed towards justice and equity. Šazu, the lord who knows the hearts of the gods of heaven and the netherworld, who observes regularly the clever behaviour(?) of the people, perceived my intentions and placed me, the insignificant (one) who was not even noticed among the people, to the highest position in my native country. He called me to the lordship over land and people. He made a favorable tutelary spirit walk at my side and he let (me) succeed in everything I undertook.

On page 7, by  Mattias Karlsson, on page 7,  (I underline it too)  mentions about Nabopolassar writings and calling himself the “son of a nobody”, insignificant one”, “weak one” and  “powerless one”. Karlsson goes on to mentioned that “Nabpolassar probably sought to hide away his uncomfortable, compromising background”

Regarding Kanadalanu, there are some similarities.

According to Grant Frame book, Babylonia 689-627 BCE Political History on page 195, par.1, mentions about Kanadalanu  (I underline it too) He mentions: He may even have been someone who was deformed or simple minded, and thus unlikely to be able to win the support of his people in any action against Assyria….

On page 304, par. 1 Frame goes on to mentioned (I underline it too)  regarding his name and that is: The name appears to mean “shaped like a kandalu-utensil” and may have indicated some physical deformity (a clubfoot).

What I see here that both kings had mental and physical problemsI’m not saying that these to kings are the same. What I mentioning that there are some similarities with both of them whom they ruled Babylonia the same amount years (21).

Any thoughts on this, please do so.

Edited by Dustparticle

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Mike047 said:

Seems a bit dubious. Needs more information, which does not appear to be forthcoming.

It maybe dubious, yet how much information we know about this king? How much forthcoming information does scholars have about him? Hardly. If so, they would only mentioned  information's they have about him.

If you have any info on this king, please pass it along. I will be glad to read 

Edited by Dustparticle