JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Android JW app problem

Can someone help me.  I have an android cell phone and tablet.  I like listening to the music or broadcast if I'm walking or working outside.  Something has changed in that I use to be able to turn off my screen but the music or video would keep playing .. now if the screen gets turned off the music and broadcast stop.  I can't have the screen on while the phone is in my purse or pocket.

Thanks for any help/ advice you have, I've tried several things and nothing works yet.

Theresa

I tried to replicate the issue, but it is working alright for me. Is this media downloaded or online stream?

Few things, you can try are:

• Force restart the application. You can do that by killing the background task of the app.

If that didn't work:

• Restart the device itself.

You can do those simple/basic options for now and I'm hoping it will work. Otherwise, you might have to try different options.

Other publishers in this forum might have some suggestions as well.

Edited by gusdn1

"For love is as strong as death is." - Song of Solomon 8:6

JWPUBS

4 minutes ago, gusdn1 said:

I tried to replicate the issue, but it is working alright for me. Is this media downloaded or online stream?

Few things, you can try are:

• Force restart the application. You can do that by killing the background task of the app.

If that didn't work:

• Restart the device itself.

You can do those simple/basic options for now and I'm hoping it will work. Otherwise, you might have to try different options.

Other publishers in this forum might have some suggestions as well.

I did restart my cell phone but it is doing this on both my tablet and cell phone.  Are you a Samsung phone and it doesn't do this?  I'm sorry I'm not sure I understand what you mean by killing the background task of the app!

25 minutes ago, Sister Theresa said:

I did restart my cell phone but it is doing this on both my tablet and cell phone.  Are you a Samsung phone and it doesn't do this?  I'm sorry I'm not sure I understand what you mean by killing the background task of the app!

I'm sorry, I should've made the instruction simpler. Yes, I have a Samsung android phone.

So, at the bottom corner of your screen, there should be 3 buttons. Click the button located on the left side. The button usually looks like 3 vertical lines. After clicking it, it will show the list of recently opened apps, including JW Library. Swipe up all the apps including JW Library. Once all apps are cleared, try to open JW Library app again, and check if the issue is fix.

Another thing to consider is how many media and publication you downloaded in the app, for some weird reason that causes issue too, or if the device's power saving mode is enabled.

The following part might be too technical for you, but you can try (the branch might ask the similar questions):

• Do you know when it started?
  • Have any brothers and sisters in the hall experienced the same issue?
  • Have you tried to reset the app?

Edited by gusdn1

"For love is as strong as death is." - Song of Solomon 8:6

JWPUBS

3 hours ago, Sister Theresa said:

Can someone help me.  I have an android cell phone and tablet.  I like listening to the music or broadcast if I'm walking or working outside.  Something has changed in that I use to be able to turn off my screen but the music or video would keep playing .. now if the screen gets turned off the music and broadcast stop.  I can't have the screen on while the phone is in my purse or pocket.

Thanks for any help/ advice you have, I've tried several things and nothing works yet.

Theresa

I have the same problem on playing audio. When I streamed it or downloaded it, the audio will stop playing after some time. I leave my phone open so I can hear the audio.

He knows you better than you know yourself, and he wants to help. :hugs:

8 hours ago, Hava Saber said:

I have the same problem on playing audio. When I streamed it or downloaded it, the audio will stop playing after some time. I leave my phone open so I can hear the audio.

8 hours ago, Hava Saber said:

But we use to be able to listen to it and shut off the screen so as to not do mess with anything (accidently call someone) and still listen.  I could start a broadcast turn off the screen and put it in my pocket and do yard work - I can't do that anymore!

13 hours ago, Sister Theresa said:

But we use to be able to listen to it and shut off the screen so as to not do mess with anything (accidently call someone) and still listen.  I could start a broadcast turn off the screen and put it in my pocket and do yard work - I can't do that anymore!

Same, it is kind of annoying when I put in my pocket and it stop or pause because of accidental touch. I wished it will be fixed.

He knows you better than you know yourself, and he wants to help. :hugs:

11 hours ago, molnarj said:

It sounds like an Android setting to me.

Try this: go to Settings > Apps. Find JW Library and chose Battery. Unrestricted should be selected.

After 12 hours of research and then contacting Samsung I was told my phone doesn't have this feature.  So after another 2 hours of searching I found a simple (google says it's safe) app that let's me lock the screen while the broadcast it playing.  $5 to not play ads.  It seems to be pretty simple so that's what I'm doing for now.  It's call Black Screen.