JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Dumplings

After 20 years of marriage, my hubby is now asking me to make dumplings! That is not something I grew up eating, making, tasting, cooking, baking, or anything else! Can someone tell me how to make dumplings? An easy recipe if possible, please. :shrugs:

my mom made good dumplings she made the kind you roll out and cut. I tried my hand at drop dumplings and they turned out light puffy and delicious the stock was pretty awsome to. Now as to how I made them I read recipe on a bisquick box and then improvised. I know thats not much help, but when the weather cools down some I will make them again and post the recipe.

1cup of AP Flour

1T of baking powder

1/2 c milk

1/2 t salt

2T light salad oil

Sift dry ingredients and mix oil and milk ---pour over flourmmixture and use fork to gently mix till they just come together. Do not beat or over mix or this will make them tough! It is important to let the mixture sit for 15 mins to allow the baking powder to activate and create the neck air bubbles to make them light and fluffy/tender! After setting use a T spoon to drop the mixture I to the gently boiling broth Immediately place

a tight fitting lid on the pot and let them do their magic for 15mins. do not peek or I will come over there and spat your hands! If you remove the lid they will not rise properly. Use a glass lid if you can not trust yourself. You know yourself better than I do! If you make chicken and dumplings use 1/2 t of poultry seasing in the dry ingredients if you use it for roast and dumplings use 2 t of fresh chopped parsley or a T of chives. Dumplings are derived from using a spoon and drooping into a pot of boiling liquid. (dumplings) that are rolled and cut are but mere noodles. They are delicious too but not really dumplings.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Thank you everybody for your help! I never thought about Cracker Barrel. Do you think I would HAVE to tell hubby they are from there? :lol1:

Leslie, thank you for the recipe. I shall try this week. And Rosemary, thank you for your suggestion. I also never thought to look at the Bisquick box for a recipe!

He said "dumplings" and I lost my mind! :eat:

• 3 weeks later...

Barb, there are several ways of cooking dumplings, cooking in water, frying or baking, which one your Husband is craving?

I luv fry johnny cake ( fried dumplings).

2 cups flour

1 tbsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1 st sugar

2 tbsp butter

about 1/2 cold water

oil for deep frying

combine all ingredients except water and oil. Add water a little at a time and make a dough.

shape dough in 2 in balls, heat oil until hot, not too hot. deep fry johnnycakes until golden brown, about 2- 3 minutes. remove and drain on paper towell.

Enjoy

Thank you so much Sis. Simone for the recipe! However, I shall not know in this system which way my hubby likes dumplings. He fell asleep in death on Sept. 15th. I have the hope of a resurrection and so maybe I can ask him then! Until then, I will try to perfect a good dumpling and use your recipe!

And, :welcome:

Thank you so much Sis. Simone for the recipe! However, I shall not know in this system which way my hubby likes dumplings. He fell asleep in death on Sept. 15th. I have the hope of a resurrection and so maybe I can ask him then! Until then, I will try to perfect a good dumpling and use your recipe!

And, :welcome:

so sorry to hear that. stay strong sis we have so much to look forward to in the new system my prayers are with you:encourage:

Guest doodleglo

I just ate some 'dumplings' from a restaurant and they tasted like warm flour/water paste shaped into squares! Ummm.... I don't thing that's how they're supposed to taste! *LOL ~