JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Man Is Going Supersonic

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 4182 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

This is amazing,he expects to break the sound barrier with his body 30 seconds after leaving his capsule....expecting to reach a top speed of 690 mph. October 8th,2012.

http://www.redbullstratos.com/handlers/view-video.aspx?videoId=1874260186001&tags=Live%2c+tv%2c+red+bull+stratos&date=03+October%2c+2012&id=media1874260186001&title=Learn

how to watch the mission live in this video. Covered from takeoff to touchdown by more than 35 cameras in the air and on the ground,

Extreme athlete and skydiver Felix Baumgartner canceled his planned death-defying 23-mile free fall on Tuesday into the New Mexico desert because of high winds.

Maybe he will schedule for another time? Fascinating.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I wasn't watching it to see him die(hope he doesn't) ....I was watching it like I watched the moon missions and the space shuttles and even Kittingers jump before I even saw his proposed jump....Sam is working on finding the GPE of objects and this was a good example I thought when I saw the news of it last week ...so we worked it out....GPE= height x weight....that is some height and of course everything had to be converted to metric and newtons...although I am sure the lack of friction has some effect I do not know how much...he'll have to discuss it all with his science teacher we were just trying to figure it all out ourselves. Kittinger said when he was freefalling he could not tell if he was suspended in space or falling , he knew when he hit the air resistance though and the temp were -94 degrees F , it was a funner exrecise than calculating the GPE of a skier....though I really dislike the death defying feet of it all....and the 40 acre helium balloon was incredibly interesting ,I saw just a part of it being filled with helium and nearly blown away . And also we were in Roswell last summer so it's like we can picture the area. I hope he makes it.

Well, he did it:

"Fearless" Felix Baumgartner's supersonic skydive from 24 miles above the New Mexico desert was a rousing success, and the Austrian daredevil has described his speed of sound shattering descent as "like swimming without touching the water."

Baumgartner, whose Sunday freefall was watched around the world, was at one point traveling at 833 mph or Mach 1.24, and he shattered the speed of sound during his 4 minute 20 second freefall. He is the only human to do so without the aid of a supersonic jet or space shuttle.

"It's like swimming without touching the water, and it's hard because every time it turns you around you have to figure out what to do. So I was sticking my arm out then it became worse," he said. "I had a lot of pressure in my head. But I didn't feel like I was passing out. I was still feeling ok, I -- I thought, 'I can handle the situation.' And I did."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/felix-baumgartner-supersonic-skydive-swimming-touching-water/story?id=17479415#.UHxJ8G80XTo

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Yes he did, right in the middle of my WT study so I didn't see it live....this was funny....

MSNBC Says Felix Baumgartner Fell 'Faster Than Speed Of Light'......I don't think he reached 186,282 miles pers second...lol.......his top speed was 833.9 miles per hour...