JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

More doctors honor religious objections to blood transfusions

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 4214 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-met-jehovahs-witness-patients-bloodless-treatme-20121009,0,7706590.story?dssReturn

More doctors honor religious objections to blood transfusions

By Manya A. Brachear, Chicago Tribune reporter

October 9, 2012

As a Jehovah's Witness, Tracy Pickett always has enjoyed knocking on doors and introducing strangers to the tenets of her faith. But by the time she reached her mid-40s, scoliosis made every step excruciating and her spiritual mission impossible.

Walking again would require surgery that often involves tremendous blood loss and a transfusion — a medical procedure to replenish the blood supply forbidden by her church.

"Even though I love life and I don't want to die, I want good medical care without blood," said Pickett, 49, of Crown Point, Ind. "If it got to that point, I would rather lose my life than disobey my creator and take a blood transfusion."

Dr. Christopher Dewald, Pickett's orthopedic surgeon at Rush University Medical Center, nervously agreed to find alternatives and perform the surgery. Dewald said he couldn't fathom letting a patient die on his operating table, but because he respected Pickett's convictions, he invested time to explore the options.