JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Going to Canada

I was wondering if anyone knows about going to Canada, it has been awhile since we have been there and I wondered about having to have a passport to go from NY state into Canada. Is that required?

We used to just show our drivers license, but that's changed hasn't it? Same with Mexico I think, we went there in 2007 with no passport.

Well, if any have experience with this would you mind sharing? Thanks.

That is very pricey for a family of 3.... but thats what I thought. :-(

They are expensive, but they are good for I think 10 years. They can take awhile to get, so once you know when you want to go to Canada, get the passports asap. My dad got one last year, took almost 4 months.

The world changed after 9/11, so yes, you now need passports to travel to Canada and Mexico from the US.

http://www.dhs.gov/crossing-us-borders

U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry are required to have documents that comply with the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI), most commonly a U.S. passport, a passport card, a trusted traveler card such as NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST, or an enhanced driver's license. See the complete list of WHTI-compliant documents.

U.S. Border Crossing Requirements Have Changed- Make sure you are compliant today!

Starting June 1, 2009, U.S. citizens returning home from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean or Bermuda, by land or sea, are required to present one of the travel documents listed below.

U.S. Passport – This is an internationally recognized travel document that verifies a person’s identity and nationality. It is accepted for travel by air, land and sea.

U.S. Passport Card – This is a new, limited-use travel document that fits in your wallet and costs less than a

U.S. Passport. It is only valid for travel by land and sea.

Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL) – Several states

and Canadian provinces are issuing this driver’s license

or identification document that denotes identity and citizenship. It is specifically designed for cross-border travel into the U.S. by land or sea.

Trusted Traveler Program Cards – Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST enrollment cards can speed your entry into the U.S. and are issued only to pre-approved, low-risk travelers. The cards are valid for use at land or sea; the NEXUS card can be used in airports with a NEXUS kiosk.

Special Groups – Information for Children, Groups of Children, Native Americans, "Closed Loop" Cruises, U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents, U.S. Military, Merchant Mariners, Ferries and Small Boats, and Boaters.

Knowing what documents are required and having them ready when you return home will help streamline the entry process and ensure your return to the U.S. is as smooth

as possible.

Adult First Time Applicants (Age 16 Years and Older)

Adult Passport Book & Card$140+$25

Minor (under 16) Passport Book & Card$95+$25

I was wondering if anyone knows about going to Canada, it has been awhile since we have been there and I wondered about having to have a passport to go from NY state into Canada. Is that required?

We used to just show our drivers license, but that's changed hasn't it? Same with Mexico I think, we went there in 2007 with no passport.

I went to canada in sept of this year. I drove from wa state to vacouver, I got an enhanced drivers license with is they do accept but i was traveling by myself

I'm in Canada... where in Canada will you be going / coming to? Wouldn't it be cool if it's close to me and we can meet up? Are you going to Bethel here?

pm me with details if you wish.

Oh,no I live 5 hours from Niagara Falls and groupon had a coupon for a really inexpensive room on the Canadian side, but it is too much for us to make such a trip with the passport,gas and all....wish I could.

I'm in Canada... where in Canada will you be going / coming to? Wouldn't it be cool if it's close to me and we can meet up? Are you going to Bethel here?

Whoops,that message is from me, not my husband, I didn't realize he was logged in on this PC....didn't mean to confuse you Beth.

Oh,no I live 5 hours from Niagara Falls and groupon had a coupon for a really inexpensive room on the Canadian side, but it is too much for us to make such a trip with the passport,gas and all....wish I could.

Whoops,that message is from me, not my husband, I didn't realize he was logged in on this PC....didn't mean to confuse you Beth.

welcome Jeff-:)

Visit my website: www.Hcgessentials.com

Growth Demands Change!

• 1 month later...

Wish I had known you in 2010, Inge, when my 2 kids and I took our vacation to Niagara Falls. We stayed in the London, ON KOA. We loved our vacation, staying at several KOA's all the way up to Canada, but I will have to say the people who run the KOA there were not very friendly for business owners. Next time, we will try to stay at a KOA closer to the Falls, too. My daughter wasn't feeling too well the day we went to the Falls, so we didn't get to go on the Maid of the Mist, so we would definitely like to do that next time. Unless Armageddon comes first, then we'll be busy for a while with other things.

We drove all around London, though. It was very nice. But what's with all the Horton shops?:S

....Those who seek Jehovah can understand EVERYTHING......Proverbs 28:5. (The possibilities are endless!)