JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Pope says animals in nativity scene is a myth

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 4173 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Actually this and a more detailed article in the Daily Mail are handy references when people bring up Christmas because apparently the Pope's book and quotes from other religious leaders in the other article point out that the religious leaders know it's pagan origins (2 Corinthians 6:14-18):

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2236195/New-Jesus-book-reveals-donkeys-crib-lowing-oxen-definitely-carols-Christmas.html

The Pope however, thinks the idea of animals at the manger where Christ was is from the prophecy of Habakkuk 3:2, but there's no mention of any beasts in my Bible or any other version on my shelf at that scripture?? and the Prophet Isaiah 1:3 is not prophesying about animals at the 'manger' either, he was denouncing Isreal back in his day for forgetting God when even animals recognise their owner and their owner's animal feed troughs/mangers.

Just in reference to Habakkuk 3:2 a footnote in my 'New Jerusalem Bible' states that in greek manuscripts that verse reads differently - "Between two animals you will make yourself known... ect" and it says that in conjunction with Isaiah 1:3 it gave rise to the two animals in the crib.

I agree though that this article is a good one to use with people to explain to them about the falacies surrounding Christmas, as it comes straight from their own religious leaders.