JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

an obsession with celebrities and social networking

is it just me or has anyone Else noticed that society in general is obsessed with celebrities and social networking like facebook twitter its like even when i go in a shop you just look the mags and all you see is mags devoted to them and there lifestyles who they married where they brought a house it drives me nuts i know its the same in the USA as well there's even celebrity based reality shows everywhere on the TV newspapers its just to much its like the worlds media want us to worship idol them like gods also facebook is everywhere even when you see a TV ad it has the facebook logo after its the norm to be on facebook now.the devil has really got this world where he wants it and he doesn't really care how he does it if it stops you serving Jehovah sad really.

No it is not just you, people have and will always be obsessed with celebrities. I do agree that is getting worse.

I personally can't understand following celebrities on twitter, lol. I know that is a big thing now, but I just don't get it.

My Husband and I get annoyed when they make celebrities headline news on TV. It's irrelevant to our lives, just encourages people to be voyeuristic gossips, so we switch it off. BBC used to be the serious/sensible channels that recognised and discussed World problems, but sometimes I think they are getting celeb obsessed/dumbed down too, joining those with 'psychological shut-down' to the real News in the world. The reason is that everyone is 'ratings' and readership numbers obsessed and are afraid to lose viewers/readers, no matter how good the show/news is, so they dumb down to gain more viewers/slack-jawed nosey gawpers who, as a result, know nothing of the real world they live in.

I have also noticed how biased and insular, rather than World view, the news is getting. BBC is no longer as neutral in their reporting as they used to be. Sign of the Times - You can see how Satan doesn't want people to care about reality because he doesn't want them to get worked up to do anything useful about it. He encourages the imitating of the selfish hedonism and immature behaviour of celebrities and is building the media up to hating anything Godly, mature and respectful. Armageddon rolls nearer!