JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Stuffed Green Peppers

I'm having my favorite elder and wife over for dinner,in 1/2 an hour yikes!

I made stuffed green peppers....if they turn out OK I'll post the recipe.....I made apple dumplings also, and some dinner rolls that look like Elly Mae Clampet made them.....little worried about those.

Anyone ever have a really bad dinner at someone's house? This could go either way....

Last year Dave and Dorthea came over for dinner. As they were coming up our walk the oven started smoking and right as they lnocked onthe door the smoke detector siren went off--screeching so loud you had to cover your ears from the blaring sound. This then signaled the dogs (8 of them) to start howling at the top of their vocals. When I swung open the door they were so startled and eyes were as big as saucers--I screamed "dinner's ready" and they just burst out laughing. What a greeting. Later they said they thought we had some fancy alarm system that notified us when people were approaching. Another time I cooked a lovely dinner for it to be interupted by one of the guests passing out. We had to call 911 and then others started to get sick. Our fireplace was not venting properly and the CO2 had backed up into the room. Fortunately no one was seriously hurt but very embrassing to have your guests leaving by ambulance.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

LOL... Leslie....you know how to throw a dinner party no one will forget....mine went okay, nobody left by ambulance :lol1:.....the stuffed green peppers were so so...they needed something.....don't know what but everyone said they liked them. If anyone has a really good recipe for them let me know.

I had a funny thing happen when we had a Bethelite over.... I had made beef stew and corn meal muffins, the brother was holding a muffin in his hand and talking and our little dog jumped up, snatched it out of his hand and ate the entire thing, wrapper and all.

Another time we had the CO and his wife, and she was a very peculiar sister...I made these little cheesy biscuits, like they have at Eatin Park....our dog was on the patio while we were inside getting ready to eat and she opened the sliding door and kept pitching the little biscuits to him, she fed him like 6 biscuits...lol....and she sang Broadway tunes the entire time...very funny sister.

Well, here's a recipe I invented from my lack luster stuffed green peppers....

Stuffed Green Pepper Soup

Take 4 left over stuffed green peppers and chop them up.

Add 1 can of Campbells Tomato soup

1 can of water

1can of chopped tomatoes

Salt and pepper to taste

I made mini pierogues and put a few in the soup.

Bon Appetit !

Last year Dave and Dorthea came over for dinner. As they were coming up our walk the oven started smoking and right as they lnocked onthe door the smoke detector siren went off--screeching so loud you had to cover your ears from the blaring sound. This then signaled the dogs (8 of them) to start howling at the top of their vocals. When I swung open the door they were so startled and eyes were as big as saucers--I screamed "dinner's ready" and they just burst out laughing. What a greeting. Later they said they thought we had some fancy alarm system that notified us when people were approaching. Another time I cooked a lovely dinner for it to be interupted by one of the guests passing out. We had to call 911 and then others started to get sick. Our fireplace was not venting properly and the CO2 had backed up into the room. Fortunately no one was seriously hurt but very embrassing to have your guests leaving by ambulance.

Wow, there's never a dull moment at your house, is there, Leslie?! LOL ::o

I intend to live forever...so far so good. :D

When I was first year married. We had a C.o he & his wife. Would come to Mums for dinner. Mums a great cook. So my turn. Now. So I had bought a twin pack of uncooked chickens.. Made up stuffing did all other preps. So i check one chock was & clean da di da. So the next one I checked it had its inadds still left inside & it was floppy. So i had to chuck both chocks out. I had no time to go shop. I had to improvise with a Tuna Bake. & the other extras that would have gone with tge roast.. I don't think he was impressed..I felt so bad. At least they didn't get ill. Thats my only bad experience there.

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

A For either red, yellow or green peppers..

Get some mince like pork put in a bowl and break it up. add salt, pepper, garlic a few good cloves, chives, parsley, parmesan cheese,

parsley and oregano & mint an egg. & some bread crumbs mix it all together, & partly cook first in a pan. You can also add shallots & chopped

celery. then stuff each pepper & bake til has that kinda dark edge on the pepper.. You can do this with vine leaves & cabbage etc.

or have you tried grilling the peppers on a bbq with some olive oil salt & balsamic vinegar..& one crushed garlic...make like a dressing & then pour over the peppers..Enjoy!:drink:

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my Recipe for anyone interested!

Stuffed Peppers with ground beef and rice, topped with cheese.

Cook Time: 1 hour, 25 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour, 25 minutes

Ingredients:

• 6 green bell peppers

• 1 tablespoons butter

• 1 tablespoon olive oil

• 1/2 cup chopped onion

• 1/2 cup chopped celery

• 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes

• 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce

• 1 clove garlic, crushed

• 1 teaspoon dried leaf oregano

• 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf basil

• 2 teaspoons salt, divided

• 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided

• 1 egg, lightly beaten

• 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce

• 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef or chuck

• 1 1/2 cups cooked long-grain rice

• shredded mild Cheddar cheese, about 1/2 to 3/4 cup, optional

Preparation:

Directions for stuffed peppers with ground beef and rice

Cut tops off peppers; remove seeds and membranes. Chop edible part of tops and set aside. Rinse peppers under cold water. Place peppers in a large pot; cover with salted water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes. Drain peppers and set aside.

Heat olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat until hot. Sauté chopped green pepper (from tops), chopped onion, and chopped celery for about 5 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, crushed garlic, oregano, basil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Simmer for about 10 minutes.

In a large mixing bowl, combine egg with remaining 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. Gently stir to blend; add ground beef, cooked rice, and 1 cup of the tomato mixture. Mix well. Stuff peppers with meat mixture and place in a 3-quart baking dish. Pour remaining tomato mixture over the stuffed peppers. Bake at 350° for 55 to 65 minutes. If desired, top stuffed peppers with a little shredded Cheddar cheese just before peppers are done; bake until cheese is melted.

Recipe for stuffed peppers serves 6.