JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

A Winter Day in December

So sorry to hear, I had a stroke a few years ago, and the only thing I now notice is my memory is not what it was before. I hope he gets better soon.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Love and hugs to you Darlene from UK. Having been through similar with my Mother I know it is a scary time for you. Mother was unconscious for 3 weeks after her stroke. Moved to different hospitals for neurology care at first then back home once she was properly diagnosed.

We had a special stroke ward/unit at our hospital. Folk would come in unconscious and helpless and between 3-6 months later many would be fairly functional and themselves with occupational therapy and help of relatives - hope this is true for you. Seeing a loved one unconscious on lots of tubes looks scary, but you have to be so patient at first because the trauma on the brain needs to clear and settle, so unconscious = rest and peace at first to get strength up to rewire/reboot itself and is normal.

A lovely article that gave me lots of hope was the special February 1998 Awake on Strokes - even unbelieving relatives who never read any other of our literature found this helpful. Keep us posted of how he is doing, as there are stages to this treatment as he responds and that is at an individual's own rate as it goes on. - never give up hope!

• 2 weeks later...

Darlene, I am so sorry to hear of your loved one having a stroke. My mother died as a result of a stroke but she lived for more than 5 months, paralyzed on one side,unable to talk and in pain. I would never wish that on my worst enemy! If someone would have known the signs of a stroke, we may have been able to get her to trauma center and save her life. Even the "doctor" she had, didn't treat her. I learned these signs and I will enter them a new thread. I soo hope D. gets better.