JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Arkansas To Vote On Guns In Churches

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 4101 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

The Senate on Thursday planned to vote on a proposal by Republican Sen. Bryan King of Green Forest that would remove churches from the list of places where concealed weapons are prohibited. King's proposal would leave it up to churches and other places of worship to determine whether to allow concealed handguns and who can carry them.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/01/24/arkansas-senate-to-vote-on-bill-to-allow-guns-in-church/#ixzz2IuTn6kdi

I thought this point in this article was interesting. If the vote allows churches to determine whether they allow concealed handguns in their buildings, I would think our KH in Arkansas would have to put a sign by the front door of all the buildings saying "Concealed Handguns Prohibited" like you see on government buildings and doctor/hospitals, etc.

If they don't put a sign like that, then anyone who visits the KH might assume it's ok to bring in a gun, correct?

If someone is planning on doing wrong with a gun (or any weapon) a sign is not going to stop them. Those signs are less effective than, "no shirt, no shoes, no service". But I'm sure if it becomes necessary the brother's will come up with something.

I realize a sign is not going to stop someone, lol. I wasn't talking about that.

I was just making a reference to a KH actually possibly having to put a sign like that on the building. That is something I don't think I could ever imagine seeing on a KH, but if something like this passes, I guess it's a possibility. The idea that this world has gotten to the point where we may see signs like that on KH and Churches is what is so crazy.

I read the article. It is interesting to think that someone might want to carry a weapon into a church otherwise there would be no discussion in the Arkansas Senate. In Wisconsin it is up to each establishment to notify customers if guns are prohibited. For instance the local library has a sign forbidding weapons as well as my grandson's elementary school. The bar down the block has a sign on the front saying guns are prohibited. Our Kingdom Hall has no such sign yet. I have some very definite feelings about owning guns, but in our area, it is quite common for the brothers to hunt food for their families during deer season so I have to be quite cautious about expressing my opinion. On occasion, there are probably guns in some of the vehicles in the parking lot. I suppose it would be up to the attendants under the direction of the elders to care for security during meetings.

-Dave

The Bible warns of the seductive power of violence. At Proverbs 16:29, it states: “A man of violence will seduce his fellow, and certainly causes him to go in a way that is not good. Humans are imperfect and history has and can repeat itself.