JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

God's name removed from Catholic Bible

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 4084 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

The Catholic Christian Community Bible has been revised, now being called the New Community Bible.

One significant change in this major revision of Hurault's work is the substitution of "the LORD" for Yahweh. This seems a backward step given the associations Lord has with male gender and hierarchic thinking. The reason lies in a 2008 Vatican directive that declared Yahweh unacceptable in Catholic prayer and music, citing sensitivity to Jewish scruples over the name of God.

http://otagosh.blogspot.com/2013/01/the-new-community-bible-review.html?m=1

The July 1, 2008 Watchtower noted:

It might come as a surprise, then, to learn that in his recent book Jesus of Nazareth, Pope Benedict XVI had this to say concerning the use of the divine name: “The Israelites were . . . perfectly right in refusing to utter this self-designation of God, expressed in the word YHWH, so as to avoid degrading it to the level of names of pagan deities. By the same token, recent Bible translations were wrong to write out this name—which Israel always regarded as mysterious and unutterable—as if it were just any old name.”

What do you think? Is it right or wrong to use God’s name? If Jehovah himself says: “This is my name for all time; by this name I shall be invoked for all generations to come,” can anyone rightly contradict him?

Just stop it.Romans 12:2

Doesn't surprise me. I suppose the Divine Name is anathema to them. Jas 2:19 says the demons believe and shudder. Gives us more ammunition to point out Christendom's underhanded lying nature in hiding the truth from honest-hearted people.

-Dave

It is sad because the truth becomes hidden to only the honest-hearted ones who search for it... but it is also good that Jehovah does not allow those who misrepresent his name to use it. In a way he has removed himself from them and seperated himself just as he said he would. (1 Chronicles 28:9) . . ."for all hearts Jehovah is searching, and every inclination of the thoughts he is discerning. If you search for him, he will let himself be found by you; but if you leave him, he will cast you off forever. . ."

Most early translators admit to following translation practices of leaving out God's name, although they didn't leave it out completely in the case of names of places with 'Jehovah' in the Hebrew scriptures... or in the cases of using the word 'Hallelujah' in Psalms and Rev. 19. So even though they might remove the name... I have yet to see a popular bible that removed 'Hallelujah' - which when showing this to students or people in our territory will raise a few questions, but also answer a few questions, since it means "praise Jehovah" it shows God's name and His right to be worshiped!

The Catholic Christian Community Bible has been revised, now being called the New Community Bible.

One significant change in this major revision of Hurault's work is the substitution of "the LORD" for Yahweh. This seems a backward step given the associations Lord has with male gender and hierarchic thinking. The reason lies in a 2008 Vatican directive that declared Yahweh unacceptable in Catholic prayer and music, citing sensitivity to Jewish scruples over the name of God.

http://otagosh.blogspot.com/2013/01/the-new-community-bible-review.html?m=1

The July 1, 2008 Watchtower noted:

It might come as a surprise, then, to learn that in his recent book Jesus of Nazareth, Pope Benedict XVI had this to say concerning the use of the divine name: “The Israelites were . . . perfectly right in refusing to utter this self-designation of God, expressed in the word YHWH, so as to avoid degrading it to the level of names of pagan deities. By the same token, recent Bible translations were wrong to write out this name—which Israel always regarded as mysterious and unutterable—as if it were just any old name.”

What do you think? Is it right or wrong to use God’s name? If Jehovah himself says: “This is my name for all time; by this name I shall be invoked for all generations to come,” can anyone rightly contradict him?

They don't like using God's Name because it messes up their trinity concept! ...which is messed up to begin with:shrugs: