JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Churches Money Under Scrutiny

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3950 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

In the news today the excessive wealth of one of Babylon the Greats churches in New York. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/25/nyregion/trinity-church-in-manhattan-is-split-on-how-to-spend-its-wealth.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Stirring the pot for the coming downfall.

Is. 41:10 " I will fortify you. I will really help you. I will really keep fast hold of you with my right hand of righteousness. "

The more this Trinity church-Wall Street land is re-valued as more valuable the more other people lay claim to it such as

(1) the original Indian tribes that lived on it and

(2) the British/Welsh clan Edwards whose ancestor Robert Edwards, they say, was the one to whom Queen Anne gave the land for acting as her privateer before the Revolution -land confirmed to the family, they say, by later King George.

There's talk of making a movie of this legal fight:
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/welsh-fight-chunk-lower-manhattan-1795774
http://nymag.com/nymetro/realestate/features/1204/

Snag with this clan Edwards legal battle is that if they won, then thousands of other English folk would lay claim to land on the Eastern Seaboard of the US.

Many long dead merchants in my town went bankrupt because their land was 'sequestered' by the new American government after the US War of Independence/ American Revolution. My Dad worked in local government offices that were once a Mansion surrendered through bankruptcy by Samuel Martin in the 1770's. Mr Martin owned vast plantations around Jamestown and Chesapeake and he owned the Jamestown's ferry, but he was told that if he didn't become American he it would be taken off him -but he couldn't become American while he had family here in UK, so he and many others similarly had to give up their land in America. Snag was that many also lost their trading ships to French pirates,so with many losses Mr Martin and others returned to our town in penury and it receded from the 3rd largest port in England, to a forgotten fishing/mining market town. Many US records of the sequester of land off British citizens who could not/would not become American citizens, have been conveniently 'lost in fires' during the American Civil War of the 1860's, so unless the British Citizens have deeds for these properties or previous wills on file here in UK archives of lawyers papers/scrolls then there's no written proof they owned the land.

Land sequestered, even that on leases, in times of War does tend to stay that way, as many Jewish families since world War 2 have found, including those who are involved in another long legal claim because they say the Vatican had acquired some of their land this way -as discussed in a  previous forum thread.

• 1 month later...

This was the headline in the Dailymail/U.K. this afternoon:

Pope Francis launches inquiry into the Vatican bank in wake of corruption and money laundering scandals

• Comes as Vatican official placed under investigation for money laundering
  • Previous leaks revealed dysfunction, turf wars and alleged corruption
  • The Vatican bank's workings have long been shrouded in secrecy

By Damien Gayle

PUBLISHED: 12:02 EST, 26 June 2013 | UPDATED: 12:02 EST, 26 June 2013

Edited by allabord4jah