JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

A Poem For All You Older Ones

This poem just shows the lighter side of old age. In particular dementure. It is sad when you think about our dear loved ones aging and losing the vigour they once had. It is very cruel.

Hopefully this poem puts a smile on your face. :)

JOIN THE CLUB

Just a line to say I'm living,

That I'm not amongst the dead,

Though I'm getting more forgetful

and mixed up in the head.

I've got used to my arthritis,

To my dentures I'm resigned,

I can cope with my bi-focals,

But boy - I miss my mind.

Sometimes I can't remember

When I'm standing by the stair

If I should be going up for something

Or have just come down from there?

And before the fridge so often

my mind is full of doubts.

Now did I put some food away

Or come to take it out?

It's not my turn to write dear

I hope you won't get sore.

I may think that I have written

And don't want to be a bore.

So remember I do love you

And wish that you lived near.

And now it's time to mail this 

And say goodbye my dear.

At last I stand beside the mail box

And my face it sure is RED.

Instead of posting this to you

I've opened it instead.

I do not want to start a new thread, but, well, here goes.

Friends, these older ones. It is not easy. We do not have the strength we had once. It is sort of scary. Ones younger then us die. We would like our grown kids to be in our lives, not because they owe us, but love us, and by the way, we could use their strong backs help us. We have been independent all our lives, and even the friends do not recognize where we are. We keep on doing what we have always done, and it is assumed we are okay. It may be that we are not. Perhaps we do, " not look our age", but I assure you, we are. We hurt, physically. I remember a medical provider talking to me about, " how many pain killers do our older ones need". I did not relate. I do now. We hurt. Physically. I go through a bad spell, and I think that is what the rest of my days will be like in this system? Not good. Add to that, sorry folks, I have to look in the mirror. Vanity? I think not. All of us know we were not supposed to age. It is the physical break down of an organism. I, as I whine, am much better off then many, but the older ones who keep on, keeping on, are much stronger then you know. Because of the strength it takes them to do what is routine for others.

I am not writing this for sympathy, but insight. I cannot believe how old I am, and still in this system, and believe me you, growing old without Jehovah, I cannot imagine any thing more depressing.

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

I do not want to start a new thread, but, well, here goes.

Friends, these older ones. It is not easy. We do not have the strength we had once. It is sort of scary. Ones younger then us die. We would like our grown kids to be in our lives, not because they owe us, but love us, and by the way, we could use their strong backs help us. We have been independent all our lives, and even the friends do not recognize where we are. We keep on doing what we have always done, and it is assumed we are okay. It may be that we are not. Perhaps we do, " not look our age", but I assure you, we are. We hurt, physically. I remember a medical provider talking to me about, " how many pain killers do our older ones need". I did not relate. I do now. We hurt. Physically. I go through a bad spell, and I think that is what the rest of my days will be like in this system? Not good. Add to that, sorry folks, I have to look in the mirror. Vanity? I think not. All of us know we were not supposed to age. It is the physical break down of an organism. I, as I whine, am much better off then many, but the older ones who keep on, keeping on, are much stronger then you know. Because of the strength it takes them to do what is routine for others.

I am not writing this for sympathy, but insight. I cannot believe how old I am, and still in this system, and believe me you, growing old without Jehovah, I cannot imagine any thing more depressing.

Thank you for your insightful comments Miss Bea. Not being pretentious but I probably wont get to see old age. This system being so close to its end. I will more than likely never know what it's like to be old. It must be so difficult sometimes. Hopefully you have the love and support of family and congregation. Just remember, Jehovah has a "yearning" to restore you to your youthful vigour. Removing all those aches and pains. While at times in this system we experience hardships we can look forward to such an enjoyable future. "Just see yourself and see me too Just see us all 

in a world that is new". :) Won't that be so nice.

Thank you dear sister. In an ideal world...make that an ideal theocratic, uh, not world, but arrangement, we would have that support and love. I do not question the love, but perhaps the support. I have grown sons, not in the truth. They have jobs and family. The congregation, well, the same. That is one of the reasons I posted that. Things are not always what they seem, or even what they should be. And I do not think I am unique. Maybe so. But this is where I am at. Just wanted all our virtual theocratic family out there to, maybe, stop and give it some thought. Again, a big hug, and, thank you!

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!