JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Memorable Jw Historical Dates/years

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3980 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I thought it could be nice to have a thread that reminds ourselves   about Jehovah Witness Organization history ;

We can post as many as possible and many times as we can...we can include extra information or changes that might have done on the same story line.

For example;

1987-Ministerial Theocratic School inception-reference from Kingdom Ministry, August 2004, pages 3-4

What historical event do you remember by reading or enjoyed personally?

Edited by raq

In 1938 the use of elections was eliminated altogether. All servants in the congregation were to be appointed theocratically under the oversight of “the faithful and discreet slave.” 

Beginning October 1, 1972, the arrangement of oversight by a body of elders was instituted in the congregations of Jehovah’s Witnesses worldwide, replacing oversight by just one congregation servant, or overseer. This new arrangement provided tremendous encouragement for mature men to qualify to take the lead in the congregation.

I do like reading about the 1930s and 40s when they used phonograph records to preach the kingdom message.  Also the use of transcription discs in the sound cars.  It was such a great use of the technology of the day, and played an important part in the ministry during those early days. I would like to have been a part in that work if I lived back then (except the war was on then, so maybe not).

We still have many phonograph records and transcription discs stored at our Kingdom Hall.  Once I was searching through the cupboards and found an old advertising flyer.  It was a meeting on a village green nearby where a transcription disc would be played of one Rutherfords radio broadcasts.  So it nice to think that brothers and sisters from my own congregation many years ago took part in that work.

Of course, just after in 1943 the Watchtower Bible School of Gilead and the Theocratic Ministry School started, which we all have benefited from.

Must have been exciting for those first group of students.