JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Thermo Pots Or Dream Cookers.

I was considering buying a Thermo Pot for our camping/travel.

The last thing Is hard to do after driving all day is thinking about cooking.

I heard they are similar to an electric slow cooker.

I was wondering if anyone has used them, what they thought &  how did the meal turn out. Thinking about hubbies Stomach in the long run. LOLS.

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

I totally agree. After a long trip, I certainy wouldn't want to cook!

I've never used a Thermo Pot. However I have used slower cookers and like them. The challenge is it requires a regular source of electricity for long periods of time to get a good meal out of them.

There is another option available.  As a volunteer first reponder, sometimes our team is activated at a moments notice to go into disaster situations where we spend days searching for missing people.  Amenities are very scarce, so being out there is very much like camping - and after a 15 hour day in the sun, we don't want to cook either. On top of it any food and water that is trucked in is reserved for the victims and their familie. So responders carry our own food and water. 

In those challenging situations, electricity isn't always readily available, so I've found MRE's a good substitute.  Many of those meals are rather good and only require a tablespoon of water to heat the self contained heat source. I believe each MRE  is appx 2000 calories - and Iv'e found it tends to fill up the tummy's of my hungry male counterparts ...smile.

Another option I've used when hot water is available, is a product called Mountain House. They are prepackaged dried meals designed for hikers or campers.  A cup or two of really hot water poured directly into the bag, gives you a hot meal that can serve two adults in about 10 mins.  I've tried other brands but found Mountain House had the best flavor and numerous meal options  for breakfast, lunch, dinners, plus snacks.

Hope that gives you some additional choices.

I totally agree. After a long trip, I certainy wouldn't want to cook!

I've never used a Thermo Pot. However I have used slower cookers and like them. The challenge is it requires a regular source of electricity for long periods of time to get a good meal out of them.

There is another option available.  As a volunteer first reponder, sometimes our team is activated at a moments notice to go into disaster situations where we spend days searching for missing people.  Amenities are very scarce, so being out there is very much like camping - and after a 15 hour day in the sun, we don't want to cook either. On top of it any food and water that is trucked in is reserved for the victims and their familie. So responders carry our own food and water. 

In those challenging situations, electricity isn't always readily available, so I've found MRE's a good substitute.  Many of those meals are rather good and only require a tablespoon of water to heat the self contained heat source. I believe each MRE  is appx 2000 calories - and Iv'e found it tends to fill up the tummy's of my hungry male counterparts ...smile.

Another option I've used when hot water is available, is a product called Mountain House. They are prepackaged dried meals designed for hikers or campers.  A cup or two of really hot water poured directly into the bag, gives you a hot meal that can serve two adults in about 10 mins.  I've tried other brands but found Mountain House had the best flavor and numerous meal options  for breakfast, lunch, dinners, plus snacks.

Hope that gives you some additional choices.

Gabe,

"Brother" is spot on in his reply to you. I also have used Mountain House and the MRE's and they're fast and tasty.

But if you have electricity the pot would make fast work of dinner. I have prepared all the ingredients and put them in a bag and took it with me. I've lived most of my life on the go and have always had food prepared for take off! I like your idea. And it is better for hubby tummy!

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34