JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Oklahoma Tornado/microburst, And Ramblings From Afar

In view of all the recent tornado activity in the midwest the last two weeks it got me to thinking about another incident that happened in 2007.  October 17, 2007 during the Octoberfest to be exact.  I had just moved here from LA and my husband had not joined me yet--still finishing of business in LA.  I had moved into a small community mobile home park and was fortunate enough to have 3 elders that lived in that park also.  One lived two doors down from me.  Don W. and his wife Molly.  They were a very funny couple who had an amazing story of how they came into the Truth.  But back to my original thought for posting.

I had recorded the Ellen show because it was extremely funny that day.  Not her usual funny but EXTREMELY funny.  Anyway, I would watch these over and over again in the middle of the night when I could not sleep or was really missing my husband.  But during that episode there was a storm warning then all the sirens started sounding.  The Octoberfest was in progress down by the River Parks and a microburst/small tornado blew through sucking up some of the special event tents and hurting about 30 or 40 people (as best as I can recall).  

Fast forward now to December.  My sister was spending the night with me and it was very late, we were laying on the sofa and love-seat watching , yes, Ellen.  They interrupted the show to breaking news and you could hear the sirens in the background and they were telling everyone to take immediate cover.  Margie and I jumped up and grabbed each other and she started screaming--"where do we go-what do we do?  Do you have a community storm shelter here?"  I was panicked, said I did not know but I would call Don and Molly.  It was close to midnight.  Don answers the phone very sleepy and I holler at him "Do we have a storm shelter to take cover in?"  "Who is this?" he replies.  I said it is Leslie and the sirens are going off and the news just interrupted the broadcasting to tell us to take immediate cover.  He is like all "What?"  "Just a minute"  Then he comes back on the phone and says "Where are you?"  I told him we were at home but we needed to take cover.  I'm till all breathless and Margie is hanging on to my are screaming "What's he saying?  What's he saying?"  Then Don goes "You girls need to calm down and look outside.  It is clear as a bell out there.  Not a cloud in the night sky.  Lot of stars"   And then I insist that no  turn your channel on and watch TV--channel 6.  He does and tells me what programming is on (guess what? --it's not Ellen)  then I am looking at the TV and realize the weatherman is at the Octoberfest and it is daylight hours"  Then Margie and I knew at the same time we were watching a recorded show from October.  I was shocked and in disbelief.  I got very serious and told Don "Never mind.  Go back to sleep.  Sorry for waking you"  then I heard him mumble to Molly "I wonder if those girls have any left whatever their drinking down there"  That was extremely embarrassing .  When I saw him the next day instead of waving he took his hand as if he were holding a bottle and started chugging as if he were drinking.  I told him that we had NOT been drinking and he said that was too bad.  He would have liked to have thought that was why we woke him up instead of being sober!  I had not thought about that in a couple of years.  But everyone knew about it after Don got through.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

I needed a good laugh this morning but wasn't prepared for crying at the same time!! Seriously I hope everyone is OK with these ongoing severe storms!!post-2322-0-14097300-1370438558.gif

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif