JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Ok, so now that we're working on the perfecting the ribs how about baked beans? I have 10 pounds of dry black beans to soak and then can. I'd like to make some into Black Bean baked beans. This should be a no brainer but truly now, anything with sugar stumps me. I'm not a sugar person at all so cooking with it is making me go out of my comfort zone. But a good recipe is something I can follow.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

I've made these every since I was about 5 or 6 years old and my Dad would BBQ.  This was my contribution for the family BBQ.

1# bacon, I dice half and fry it with a chopped onion and bell pepper, and a couple of stalks of celery. After you saute this and your pork-n-beans (use 3 cans or more of 28 oz size--they are so good you will eat them with every meal till they are gone...I promise!  So go ahead and use alot of beans.)  Next stir in 1-11/2 C of dark brown sugar, about 1/4 to 1/2 c of jarred mustard, 1/4 c of pancake syrup or karo syrup, and 1/4 c of apple cider vinegar (or distilled).  I also add approx 1 cup of my BBQ or your favorite BBQ sauce.  Pour into a large baking pan and top with the rest of the uncooked bacon.  Bake at 375 degrees for 60 mins then turn down to 325 degrees and bake another hour till thick and sticky. Let stand to thicken slightly and serve.  We eat these hot the first time the cold ,right from the frig the after that.  My Dad would always make cold Baked Beans sandwiches.  To me it is like a desert.  The next day I will stir in pulled pork or brisket that was left over and then we will grill hot dogs and hamburgers and go at it again.  Sooooo good!

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!