JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

another timely issue

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3947 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

We discussed this in the ministry recently how again and again it happens that after the latest Watchtower and Awake! magazine are on our website and about to be offered at the door, here comes an event to fit in perfectly with our presentations. Here is once such story: protests to go along with July Awake!:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/20/world/americas/brazil-protests/?hpt=hp_t2

anyone else recall timely issues to go along with world happenings? 

At that time those who fear Jehovah spoke with one another, each one with his companion,

and Jehovah kept paying attention and listening..." ~ Malachi 3:16

the article states: protesters held signs saying, "I'd swap 10 stadiums for one decent hospital in this country"

Awake! states: ˘ Dissatisfaction with social systems. When people believe that the local government and economy serve their needs, there is little desire to protest— people work within the existing order to address their problems. On the other hand, when people feel that these systems are corrupt and unjust and rigged in favor of a select few, conditions are ripe for social unrest.

At that time those who fear Jehovah spoke with one another, each one with his companion,

This is so true. That volcano that paralysed Europes airspace was featured just prior to the event in an Awake.

In my country the month a new law about using cellphones while diving came into effect the magazine was about technology and the article began by giving an illustration about a man who crashed while talking on his

Its funny how often it happens, and not that its like prophecy of course but it always makes you wonder when you see an upcoming magazine about Terrorism or Natural Disatser.

in thinking about what you're saying regarding Natural Disaster Zak, how easy was it to talk to people using our May Watchtower 'Is God Cruel?' ~ the cover pic of a family in devastated remains rang true... here in the U.S., due io recent storms, scenes like it were on the news every night, and people could relate

Am sure a majority of our Brazilian brothers/sisters, C.O's, missioneries, D.O.'s Bethelites in Brazil are doing just so with the currect WT & AW magazines.  These people are fed up, they need real answers, and by jimmey, they r going to get the message.   A real government that will fulfill their very needs and the best part, IT WILL BE FREE!   If among those throngs of people come into the truth, they can help build up the paradise!   Imagine that mass of people at the G.T., storming the churches down there, ripping off all that gold, and then finding out how the churches are in bed with the poltical leaders!!!  Woe!!!!   Good story Renee! 

Lisa your enthusiasm makes me want to grab my July WT 'Can You Trust Religion?' and hit the doors with it tonight  :bringiton:

love your energy  :thumbsup:

I remember back in 1997, Feb 28 there was a world famous bank robbery at the Bank of America in North Hollywood, CA. Later there was a movie called 44 minutes about the tragic event.  I was studying with the witnesses at that time and my teacher lived right behind the bank.  They put her whole neighborhood on lock-down while the swat team members went from house to house telling people to take cover and lock doors.  Streets were blocked off.  This was a very dark time in my life,  I had just left my husband because the alcohol was out of control.  We were to have a Bible study at her home later than morning and it did not happen.  She called me to tell me to stay put.  I lived at the end of Laurel Canyon just across from Ventura Blvd.  I was glued to the television watching the events unfold.  My son was in school that morning.  I had know idea where Rick was.  Out on the streets somewhere.  I remember praying to Jehovah to keep him safe.  Anyway, everyone knows the outcome.  But the next day the WT/Awake magazines were distributed and the cover was a scene that almost mirrored the headline picture on the LA Times newspaper.  EVERYONE noticed the resemblence.  It was an easy set to place because it was current news that tied in with this world famous event.  Later, there was a 60 minutes show or some type of news show special about the robbery.  It detailed the events of the day and showed tons of video footage where the army tanks were going down the middle of Laurel Canyon Blvd.  By that time, my husband was back home.  I remember it was a Friday night and we were laying in bed watching this special.  Rick set straight up in bed and rubbed his eyes and stared at the TV in disbelief.  He looked so confused and whispered "Was that real?"  I said "well, of course it was real.  Where were you?  Everybody in the whole world was watching it!"  He said in disbelief, very hard to hear him he was speaking so low and slow  "I was laying drunk behind Ralph's supermarket.  I remember sitting up and seeing the army tanks and hearing the bullets and the screams but I thought I was dreaming..."  He was so stunned to have been in the middle of that but yet that was not his reality.  Very sad to remember that time of my life but so greatful  to Jehovah that our life is vastly different now. 

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

wow Leslie what a story!  (tu)   as you say 'it was an easy set to place because it tied in with world events'... this happens so often with our current issue & whatever is going on in the world, you offer the magazines & people say "oh yes I heard about that" and grab them from you... I remember the news reported major recalls on several different foods last summer for poisoning & salmonella... 1 wk later our June 2012 Awake! cover article: "Is Your Food Safe?"

makes it fun to be in the ministry :yes:

Sometimes, these articles... it's quite like we can know what will happen in one month or two

... makes me wonder if any events will coincide with July WT on trusting religion... ooooh these are exciting times!  :ecstatic:

When I visited Bethel a few years ago, and also recently from the CO, we were told that the brothers on the writing committee take up to a year to compose, add pictures, look up articles etc. before they actually come out in a printed mag. To me that is astounding because so many of the articles are like they were written because of events that have happened just yesterday. 

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

indeed food at the proper time! :) 

sister Vernalee we received the same info from our Bethel brothers too... articles are written 1-2 yrs in advance, then updated & artwork added to suit the current needs before printing... its amazing to me also, seems like it was just written last week ~ every month I anxiously await the latest download and can't wait to get to get out there to offer it!!

... I'm so grateful for our magazines! :thumbsup:

Talk about current! June WT World Without Prejudice--When?

After the Paula Deen fallout I am thinking of all the ways to place this. Since a lot of my conversations fall around food or menu for the bar/grill I am thinking this will be easy to do. I think she is probably kicking herself right now--seeing how her empire has taken a solid hit from a slip of the tongue. It really shows how if you don't weed out bad traits they can have terrible consequences. I don't think any amount of butter can fix this jam!

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

I believe it was the August 2004 Awake (I'm just going by memory here) front cover series on Tsunami's. at the time I wondered why such a series. I had barely heard of tsunami's before and wondered why such an article for such a rare event. We all know what happened in December of that year. Since then I've seen many articles timed to events for it to be a coincidence.

good point Leslie :yes: never heard much of her before yesterday, now she is headline news on every channel.. also here in Fl there is a murder case starting Monday that has become quite racially charged, the entire trial will be on live TV each day, people feel strongly one way or the other, our mags fit in perfectly

no amount of butter for this jam LOL  :lol1:

brother Rob welcome! :welcome:

• 2 weeks later...

here it is July 1st and headline news has another major protest to go along with those in Turkey and Brazil fit nicely with our new July Awake!:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/01/world/meast/egypt-protests/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

I was walking through Walmart yesterday and saw a sign with the picture of a skateboarder and the words "Rise Up".  Huh?!!  What has skateboarding got to do with rising up?  There are protests going on throughout this country, but there's minimal media coverage, regional at best.  People are so asleep on such a deep level here.  Others may recognize problems, but their so distracted by making a living and/or entertainment, they're indifferent.  Add to this the fact that most protesting shown in the main stream media is "over there".  Most people here just really can't be so bothered.

It's scary when you think about how bad things will have to get here to move people to protest on the level of say the Europeans, let alone Egyptians.  Then take into consideration all the recent Homeland Security weapons build up and militarization of law enforcement.  Scary indeed.

Makes you appreciate the protection we enjoy in Jehovah's organization.  Even though we can be adversely affected by social and political unrest, we know Jehovah's allowance goes only so far and so long as we submit to what He allows with complete trust in His promises of protection, we'll be ok.