JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Old Painting illustration

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3357 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

post-938-0-28408300-1423976173_thumb.jpgI thought I would share something I came across in the news that I was able to use as an illustration in my talk a couple weeks ago. I had the talk on the second question in the Bible introduction, the second part on how can we learn about God. 

I was going through some odd news stories and came across this one that I then used in my talk.

In the early 1900's there was a painter from Hungary. his name was Bereny, he painted avant-garde. One of his paintings disappeared in the 20's, last seen and photographed at an art fair. Not stolen just disappeared. 

fast forward

December 2009, an art historian was watching the movie Stuart Little with his daughter. During one of the scenes in the Littles living room he saw the painting on the wall behind the couch. Recognized it as the lost painting, took a while to locate it and identify it by other artist, etc. He had only seen the faded black and white photo taken in the 1920s. I asked how did he do that? by studying the frauds? No, by studying the artist, his other works, etc. Also, when he finally talked to the studio director who bought the painting, she had found it in an antique store and bought it for $500. All these years, no one recognized the value of the painting, even the so called experts at the antique store. So not everyone will recognize the truth either, or its value. 

Using the scriptures to go along with the story worked really well. I used Heb 10:24 and tied in with him getting other art historians to help verify his find. 

I did this with more "word conservation" and only 4 min and 56 seconds...a record for me. 

But this was a fun news story that I have been able to use with some of my return visits/studies as well.