Jump to content
JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Desert Dan

Full Access Users
  • Posts

    342
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Desert Dan's Achievements

Proficient

Proficient (10/14)

  • Dedicated
  • First Post
  • Collaborator
  • Very Popular
  • Reacting Well

Recent Badges

1.2k

Reputation

  1. Does anyone tinker with any microcontrollers like ESP32, Microbit, Arduino, etc? If so, what have you done with it? So much easier to code for than just 5 years ago. I have quite a collection of sensors, AI cameras, communication stuff, LCD/OLED displays, expansion boards and a lot more, but I am still an amateur, but liking what I see out there. It's an amazing world and unbelievably easy these days to make things happen these days. I have servos, step motors and such, but have not experimented with anything robotic yet. I know some of the schools teach their students on the easiest one (Microbit) with Block coding, but you can do JavaScript, MicroPython, etc on some of the IDE's. I have even used AI to come up with some quick code to save time. Microsoft MakeCode for micro:bit
  2. I have some general chat type models running local on just 8gb of VRAM, including image analysis, etc, but I have yet to successfully figure out text to image generation running locally. ComfyUI made my brain hurt and it always seems like packages or components are outdated, erroring out, missing, etc. I have to step back from things like that, or else I will get frustrated. I like messing with microcontrollers and junk like that as well.
  3. I have been experimenting running some LLM's on my local computer, even on a system with only 16gb RAM and an old Nvidia GTX1070 (with 8gb VRAM). If you download the right models based on the hardware you have, some of them actually work. The AI world seems to be evolving weekly, almost scary. It is quite interesting to see what your computer can do, without any connection to any service, or even internet. Currently testing Gemma-4-12b-qat and throwing pictures at it to identify older vehicles and scenes in pictures as to what is sees. Quite impressive. Now if RAM and Storage would come down in price, including video cards, you could do so much more. Makes me sick how expensive components are, compared to not long ago. I just found a 1991 computer magazine in my closet and things weren't cheap back then either...
  4. If they don't do it already for some things, I think it would be a great tool relative to efficiency and reduced time/effort. Especially if the AI models are trained, and images generated, off of our own content from years past...
  5. But as a former Californian, I am extremely confused as to what a cobber is. All I know from living in Cali is (peach) cobbler. Home made...
  6. Unless I am misunderstanding you, I didn't catch a point during our convention regarding hiring "cheap labor" (or undocumented workers). These types of workers do not generally pay taxes. Some of these immigrant workers may obtain a social security number, but in an illegal fashion, if you know what I mean. Knowing this could likely be the case -are we hiring such ones to get the work done cheap to save money? It may be hard to understand if it is not common in your area.
  7. That is good my sister, I am not too far behind you and myself and others are happy that your life is enjoyable at this time and better than ever. However, it must be understood (and with a bit more sensitivity please) that not everyone is enjoying life so much right now, no matter what the age. For some, being in their 40's is no simple task and they may feel like they are in their 60's. It all depends how we grew up, what we have had to endure in life and also current challenges or the stress and anticipation of an upcoming trial. Not sure if it translates, but it is not "rosy" for all brothers and sisters. The more stories I hear from brothers (including elder's personal struggles), things are tough and almost unbearable at times for many. We can tell people to "hang in there and rely on Jehovah" but life still has many challenges, some suddenly unexpected too. Of course, worshipping Jehovah brings up happiness with a hope for a better future. I doubt anyone can "assure" that they have a lot more years to live. If so, please "spill the beans" and let me know, I'm listening.
  8. I am fairly confident in saying that if North Korea bombed Hawaii that there would not be too much left of that country before very long.
  9. I use that one often in service. So many people, in my experience, if they are religious at all, think it is God running things. Then I briefly explain the challenge at Genesis 3. Man, If I truly thought God was currently ruling the world right now with all the problems we see, I would be an atheist. All I know that, if the logic that the world is being run by God right now (being perfect as he is and his power), imagine the problems if Satan was running the show" 😨
  10. The "...not open to any agreement" part in verse 3, reminds me of what we see among many world leaders today. I have used that in service and have had people agree.
  11. Quick Fact Check: Canada hardly produces tomatoes compared to other countries. It was like #41. List of countries by tomato production - Wikipedia As I came from the Central Valley in California, I know California technically produces the most tomatoes in the United States though.
  12. Are we saying Jehovah doesn't have the ability to start things in the world all at the same time? Does Jehovah have to delay parts of the world due to time zones? I just feel the time zone is irrelevant.

2 Followers

About Desert Dan

Member's Public Information

  • Gender
    Brother
  • First Name
    Dan
  • Relationship Status
    Single (Divorced)
  • Displayed Location
    Arizona, USA
  • Publisher
    Yes
  • Baptized
    Yes

How I Found the Truth

  • How I found the Truth
    Grandmother who raised me helped to bring me in.

My Hobbies & Interests

  • My Interests
    Other than things in Jehovah's organization - Off Road Riding, Hiking, Electronics, Computers, 3D printing

Recent Profile Visitors

3,560 profile views

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 23.8.11 (changelog)