JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Letter about Piano Music

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3947 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

We had a letter read at last nights meeting about the branch changing the tempo of the piano music that we sing with at the meetings. They said that the tempos of some of the songs made it hard for some to sing along easy. They said for congregations to start using these as soon as possible. I will be downloading these to see if I see any difference.

I compared a few, and there was definitely a difference. One song was 15 seconds longer. Makes a difference when you're able to catch a breath before the next verse!

Hi Dave, it's nice to put a face to the music I've been enjoying. Thanks for all your hard work. :wub:

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

I compared a few of the new ones with the current ones - and then with the same ones from the former songbook.

One example of what I noticed: Song n° 7 "Christian Dedication". As song 13 in the former songbook it had a faster tempo. To me it conveyed devotion. In the new songbook it was slowed down - and to me sounds more like a dirge! Now the tempo is back to what it was originally - and once again, to me it expresses devotion. Of course, this is just my opinion. But I must say, I'm delighted!

Use your ears to gain understanding and your tongue to heal. -w13 5/15 p. 22

So you've all noticed a change with the songs? So far I haven't noticed anything... The literature code/file names don't seem to have been changed.

My dad has a jw.org login and he told me that a letter has been received concerning this issue. However, I understood it had more to do with instruments used in songs rather than tempo? I was so looking forward to this since I've thought the current piano accompaments are nowhere as, festive (eh?), as versions often played at conventions.

To this David said: “What have I done now? I was only asking a question!”

– 1 Samuel 17:29