JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Techie Stuff

One of these days, when I have a real job again, I want to get a tablet AND a smart phone (currently, I am using my 2004 Black Friday special - a little blue TracFone - costs me $10/month ;)).  Some people have Samsung products and some have Apple.  I tend to lean towards Apple, but I am interested in knowing your personal experiences with either, so that I can make an informed decision!  :help:

Live long and prosper. 🖖🏻

My husband says that Apple stuff just works. If you want user friendly, and easy to figure out products then go with Apple. The others have more options, feature, abilities but none of it would be something you need just to read the litature or use JW.org or the Internet, make phone calls and send text messages. My father loves the Samsung and droid and all those others because he is techie and gets into all that stuff, me personally, I just want it for the Internet and e-readers and to make phone calls so Apple is good and easy for that.

wow...that's a loaded question! I have a phablet..the original Samsung Note with AT&T..I use it for everything..even has a built-in recorder.Gabe told me about it...My husband has the Samsung galaxy tab 2 10" tablet..wifi only..we go to the coffee shop to download theocratic files..If I was looking for an android tablet myself, I would consider the 8" Samsung Note wifi only...also I read that Walmart will sell an HP android tablet with Intel...there is a possibility that the Watchtower Library CD could be installed on this without Isilo..but you would have to chech with Musky later...I think it is supposed to be $99 when it comes out..you would have to check.

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

My husband says that Apple stuff just works. If you want user friendly, and easy to figure out products then go with Apple. The others have more options, feature, abilities but none of it would be something you need just to read the litature or use JW.org or the Internet, make phone calls and send text messages. My father loves the Samsung and droid and all those others because he is techie and gets into all that stuff, me personally, I just want it for the Internet and e-readers and to make phone calls so Apple is good and easy for that.

My first computer was a Mac, so I got kind of spoiled.  It really was very user friendly.  iPhones are fairly expensive, though, aren't they?  Or am I confusing their price with that of the iPad?

wow...that's a loaded question! I have a phablet..the original Samsung Note with AT&T..I use it for everything..even has a built-in recorder.Gabe told me about it...My husband has the Samsung galaxy tab 2 10" tablet..wifi only..we go to the coffee shop to download theocratic files..If I was looking for an android tablet myself, I would consider the 8" Samsung Note wifi only...also I read that Walmart will sell an HP android tablet with Intel...there is a possibility that the Watchtower Library CD could be installed on this without Isilo..but you would have to chech with Musky later...I think it is supposed to be $99 when it comes out..you would have to check.

I've always wondered how you use a tablet as a phone, lol.  How do you speak into it?  Or is it like a speaker phone? 

Jules <--- pretty ignorant!  ;)

Jules the Samsung Galaxy Note is 5 3/4 " X 3 1/4...like between a phone and tablet size..it is a speaker phone .. great phone and does everything a tablet can do..I use it at the meetings..my husband made a prop with a suction cup attached to a little high bouncing ball!..This phone is reduced now with a new or updated contract..the new model is called the Note 2.. They have an attached e-pen ... you can use to write or select smaller items on the screen..,you can take screenzhots of any print or photo on the screen and then post them later from your gallery if you want to...post-2322-0-38358100-1375997127.jpg

cat2_e0.gif

Yes they are expensive, I think.

You know, it looks like they run from $199 to $399.  If I could get that on a payment plan as a student, it wouldn't be so bad.  It looks like the real problem for me would be the monthly fee:  $90 - $120, dependent on the amount of data you want.  :(

Jules the Samsung Galaxy Note is 5 3/4 " X 3 1/4...like between a phone and tablet size..it is a speaker phone .. great phone and does everything a tablet can do..I use it at the meetings..my husband made a prop with a suction cup attached to a little high bouncing ball!..This phone is reduced now with a new or updated contract..the new model is called the Note 2.. They have an attached e-pen ... you can use to write or select smaller items on the screen..,you can take screenzhots of any print or photo on the screen and then post them later from your gallery if you want to...attachicon.gifrps20130507_083836.jpg

OK, speakerphone makes sense!  :)

I think I would just get one with a slightly bigger screen.  Chanel and I were just talking at lunch about how using one for our personal mags probably saves the organization $$$, and I'd like to help do that. :)

Edited by Julsey

If you just want a tablet there are 7", 8" and 10"... wifi only has no monthly charge..others here can help more than I...Musky or Bob or anyone .. most sisters know more than me..it has been a struggle to learn what I do know..I feel Jehovah has really helped me to learn...I really feel like I am able to keep up better with Jehovah's organization!

cat2_e0.gif

I have to correct my grammar..can't believe I made that mistake!! MOST SISTERS KNOW MORE ABOUT TABLETS THAN I DO!

About Samsung being sued? THEY CAN'T TAKE AWAY MY NOTE.....That's how valuable it is..not because it is a particular device, but because I know how to work it...at 67 that was a feat..not sure about learning Apple..but with the help of the friends here and on meekspace ...should not be a problem for most friends!

:coffee:

cat2_e0.gif

48649-animated-blue-apple.gif                          You will not be disappointed; Samsung is being sued by whom?

Samsung and Apple have been suing each other in courtrooms all over the world. They both have infringed on each other's patents.  Most suits are for patents on older, outdated devices. There is no way a suit would require you to give up a device you already own. 

If you just want a tablet there are 7", 8" and 10"... wifi only has no monthly charge..others here can help more than I...Musky or Bob or anyone .. most sisters know more than me..it has been a struggle to learn what I do know..I feel Jehovah has really helped me to learn...I really feel like I am able to keep up better with Jehovah's organization!

Oh, that's true...I can use it w/o the phone feature!  Thanks for pointing this out to me, Elizabeth.  Sometimes (more often than I like to think about), the light bulb doesn't go off in my brain, lol.

My husband and I just got home from D&D where we were able to download several mp3 Bible books using their free wifi, placed several pocket letters, and talked to a young man using his galaxy S 3 phone..placing 2 mags...he had never seen our mags. and directing him to jw.org with 500 languages (at which he was amazed) AND the invitation to the convention!

cat2_e0.gif

My husband and I just got home from D&D where we were able to download several mp3 Bible books using their free wifi, placed several pocket letters, and talked to a young man using his galaxy S 3 phone..placing 2 mags...he had never seen our mags. and directing him to jw.org with 500 languages (at which he was amazed) AND the invitation to the convention!

Woohoo!  Excellent!  :backflip: