JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Internet service providers

I have found the best, fastest and most reliable ISP are cable companies as opposed to telephone companies. We also have AT&T "uverse" and were also unhappy with them, so we called them up and threatened to switch providers and so, to keep us, they bumped us up the their highest tier at the same price we were paying for basic and it has been working flawlessly ever since. 

It may be because there is a lot of competition in our area so they know we have a choice so the companies go out of their way to keep customers. I know it's not like that everywhere though.

That's what I've been offered the fastest internet with ATT uverse for 1 year.After an hour speaking with 4 reps.I think they did a con job on me.I'm not happy with how they handled matters .I'm thinking of returning to the local cable company for internet.They were great before.But ATT gave me $150.00 to switch plus my modem.So I took the bait.

If AT&T offers cable service, or if anyone else does, I would go for cable Internet. Cable is inherently faster then DSL (Phone line)  because of the bandwidth possible with CAT5 or CAT6 cable. But it used to be that cable connections slowed down if you had a lot of neighbors using the cable Internet connection at the same time, like in the evening, because unlike DSL, you are basically sharing a network connect with other who are connected to the same node (like a transformer) But, there are now laws in place as to how many connections per node cable companies are allowed so cable now out performs DSL by a pretty big margin where they are both available. 

I am still stuck with HughesNet but I up graded to the new thingy they have and now it is faster, but not near as fast a the cable connection I use at the house where I work. Still it is 100% better than before. I pay a whopping $71.48 for it though. Before it was just $65.00 per month. :o

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

We had Time Warner Cable for awhile, hated it.  Speeds were good, but the router's constantly caused us problems, customer service was terrible.  I would call to fix internet, and they have like 3 levels of technicians.  First you talk to the basic untrained techs who just have you unplug things and plug them back in, then you go to the next level of techs which are better, finally you get to the level 3 techs and these guys are the smart ones. Problem is you can't call and ask for Level 3 tech, you have to go through the first two levels first, lol.  My brother is level 3 tech at Time Warner, and I would try to get a hold of him, never worked.

We are now with AT&T for about 6 months, and so far we are thrilled.  It's cable internet through fiber optic cables.  So far so good, very happy we switched.

I used to have AT&T DSL service (not the uVerse fiber-optic stuff) and later switched to Time Warner Cable. The real reason was because we had Dish Network before, but wanted to bundle and save. After a while, i decided paying for cable was pointless since we never watch it, and now I just have their highest priced tier and we stream all our video content.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

we switched from phone dsl with Teksavvy ( ON, Can ) to cable internet-$5 more 3 x speed. We had already cancelled our Bell Sat TV after they price gouged. Switching to Teksavvy cable internet allowed us to cancel our landline which cable internet is $5 less than dsl dryloop and is 3 x faster than dsl at that price.

We use MagicJack plus -one London, ON number & one Port Huron, MI number, which reminds me- one comes due next month $45 per year for local calling in North America -better than $65 per month from Bell ( was only $35 in Jan/13 ) Only drawback is 90 minutes limit per call-although you can call again immediately-doesn't work for meetings - no call back after 30 minute window at hall.

We also stream  have 300Gb limit at 25 Mbs ( had been 18 ) all for $45 month including taxes.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

My part of town, there are 5 ways, one is the most expensive (they double your payment by 2 months), its fast internet connection, no phones - Comcast.

2nd, there is Verizon, DSL or FIOS.  I have DSL,  not sure if I can keep up with the $63.00 a month pymnts.  FIOS, well it would be better, but where I live, it can't be installed.  So I have missed several years of their great deals of advertisements.  Then we have Dish Network, which I can't install on my deck because I have massive tree interference and a store that makes the loudest noises day and night.   So, let me see, what else can I do?  Oh yes, a brother purchased one of those "stick an antenna" on your wall or window, and get a transmitter ($50.00 at Sam's Club), HD flat screen TV, connect.  Now I have been told that this can give you at least 20 pictures and their pretty clear.   I only watch some news, weather, and Judge Judy (she cracks me up). That's about it, except for one other show Pawnstars from Detroit.  They're the only people who have any money up there!  Their show and family bickering makes me laugh.  My next TV will be connected to the PARADISE!  This will give us all a CLEAR PICTURE, and have some really CLEAN, MORAL SHOWS on it...most of it will be LIVE TV!  

My phone company provides my internet line.

I have the phone line included as a bundle.

They are expensive but they dominate the whole of Australia.

We have other cheaper network but there coverage is poor in the country. Rurals.

I have been without AdSL for a month. Still there is an issue on their part.

Nancy hope you find a good one.

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody."