JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Tennessee baby can keep name 'Messiah', judge rules

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3882 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

A judge in Tennessee has overturned an earlier ruling by a child support magistrate that a baby boy's name must be changed because it was reserved for Jesus Christ.

NEWPORT, Tenn. — A Tennessee judge has ruled in favor of parents who want their 8-month-old baby to be named "Messiah."

At a paternity hearing last month, child support magistrate Lu Ann Ballew was asked to decide Messiah Deshawn Martin's surname.

She ended up changing the baby's first name as well, saying that Messiah was a title reserved for Jesus Christ.

Related: Controversial name changes

That decision quickly made international news.

On Wednesday, Chancellor Telford E. Forgety Jr. overturned that decision, ruling that the lower court acted unconstitutionally. He said the lower court violated the establishment clause of the U.S. Constitution.

The child's mother, Jaleesa Martin, expressed relief after the hearing. She says the original ruling was "ridiculous" and says she is glad the court fight is over.

What???!!! Justice is actually being performed by judges in the US!!!   :eek: This must REALLY be the end   :lol1:

I wish I could say "Sorry, for the sarcasm", but I am still working on that.   :wave:

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I remember this item, I think the original fight was over something else custody but the name change was thrown in... it was a silly ruling anyway.   If someone wants to call their child Tampax a court doesn't have the right to stop them; the child may grow up to murder them in their sleep but that's another issue...

There are some pretty harsh names in the bible (sara, nabal..) maybe being called  Messiah will prompt him to one day find out who the true one is...