JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

What would you put in an emergency kit?

Having recently been snowed in...I was thinking I need to put an emergency kit of things together to keep in the house...who knows with more mad weather...calamities...the great tribulation...

...and thinking in terms of someone who is on low money...so it has to be on a budget...

we were already advised some time ago to make sure we had an essentials bag that we could quickly pick up and go with at any time, also to make sure we have a good store cupboard of food for emergencies....many of us found our store cupboard of food already hit hard with all the snow... I really was glad to have it there. :)

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

Funny, Steve, but not highly recommended...

Sian, there are so many variables in a bug out bag that you really have look at a lot of different areas and decide if it works for you...

There are food preferences, allergies, medical needs, geographic and climate concerns, all of which play important parts in our kits...

The Brothers here in the US have suggested a 72hr kit....size obviously dictated by number of persons. Have your Brothers there given you any guidance on this issue?

This link will take you to a well known survival site, where they specialize in this...I bought their 4 person/72hr bag and had it in the back of my Jeep for a couple of years....I left it with my parents when I moved here to Iowa.

I used to have a link to a Sister's site where she made up kits, based on organic items..I no longer have it, lost in cyberspace, I guess---

I would suggest you look at the contents of some of these kits, factor in your special needs, and buy accordingly..

I have always heard the Brothers recommend a 72hr kit...some go for a week long kit...I feel that a week is probably fine, what is the cutoff point between self reliance and relying on Jehovah for deliverance? That is the question that has plagued me...

Have fun Sis......

http://www.nitro-pak.com/

Hi Annie

we were already advised some time ago to make sure we had an essentials bag that we could quickly pick up and go with at any time, also to make sure we have a good store cupboard of food for emergencies

Where were you advised about an essentials bag?..."we could quickly pick up and go with at any time"...that is a good point..

do you know the TV programme "Father Ted"? used to be on quite a while back...if so...do you know the island where it was filmed..it looks lovely in a rugged sort of way...

ON TOP ------ (put identification/medical infor along witn medicine in

bag and on self)

Bible, Reasoning,song book,Jerimiah book,text book, some magazine.

paper/pen, flashlight/f batters/ wind up radio.

1. 2 bottels witch hazel.

2. 2 pk guaze.

3. 1 box bandages.

4. 2 small tubes bactieral oinimnet.

5. 2 peroxide.

6. 4 rolls tolilte paper.

7. 2 wash clothe.

8. 3 rolls paper towel.

9. 2 bath towels.

10.5 changes panties/liners.

thanks Tim...I will study that site too...

The Brothers here in the US have suggested a 72hr kit....size obviously dictated by number of persons. Have your Brothers there given you any guidance on this issue?

No...I will ask about this... because we do not know what is going to happen in the near future...

I have heard you should put cash in an emergency kit. Reason being, bad weather can knock out things like electricity, and an ATM may not work and banks could be closed, and your credit cards may not work at a store if the computer system is down or they have no electricity. How much cash I don't know. I gues you could figure how much money you spend in 72 hrs or a week on food and gas and go with that estimate. The key though is not to use this cash when you are low on funds one month. You have to keep the cash there always and don't borrow from it like a piggy bank. It is strictly emergency cash.

I have heard you should put cash in an emergency kit

Ah...this is getting overwhelming...some points here...

1) Determine first what you will be preparing for, i.e., earthquake, hurricane, flood, tornado, possible job layoff, bird flu quarantine, etc.

2) Determine what length of time you want to prepare for. A minimum should be 2 to 4 weeks. 1 to 3 months would be better. A year would even be better yet.

3) What will you do about food, water, light, cooking, heat, sanitation, first-aid, etc? Look at the suggestions listed below to get ideas for getting started.

AGAIN, don’t get overwhelmed. Take it in small bite-size chunks. Start with planning for 2 weeks and get the needed supplies together. Then progress to 1 month, then 3 months, or however long your goal is. Get your family involved in the planning and preparation.

I can't think what I am preparing for...so many situations...

Hi Sian, we were told from the platform last year...the brother brought out that we should all have somekind of bag ready which contained our birth cert, maybe a few medical supplies.....anything really that we feel is personal or that maybe needed quickly. :)

Hi Annie

we were already advised some time ago to make sure we had an essentials bag that we could quickly pick up and go with at any time, also to make sure we have a good store cupboard of food for emergencies

Where were you advised about an essentials bag?..."we could quickly pick up and go with at any time"...that is a good point..

do you know the TV programme "Father Ted"? used to be on quite a while back...if so...do you know the island where it was filmed..it looks lovely in a rugged sort of way...

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

Hi Annie

we had a part on our service meeting where we had a print out sheet that covered all the things we should have and it also contained information on having cell phone numbers for the elders and information on your own personal contact list for family out of the area that you may flee to so the brothers would know where you were if you weren't still in the area. that way they wouldn't be worried if they couldn't find you. it was quite detailed with both sides of the sheet full of information. did you all get that too?

I have heard you should put cash in an emergency kit

Ah...this is getting overwhelming...some points here...

1) Determine first what you will be preparing for, i.e., earthquake, hurricane, flood, tornado, possible job layoff, bird flu quarantine, etc.

2) Determine what length of time you want to prepare for. A minimum should be 2 to 4 weeks. 1 to 3 months would be better. A year would even be better yet.

3) What will you do about food, water, light, cooking, heat, sanitation, first-aid, etc? Look at the suggestions listed below to get ideas for getting started.

AGAIN, don’t get overwhelmed. Take it in small bite-size chunks. Start with planning for 2 weeks and get the needed supplies together. Then progress to 1 month, then 3 months, or however long your goal is. Get your family involved in the planning and preparation.

I can't think what I am preparing for...so many situations...

this is a site where you can do something each month for a year and by the end of the year you would have your kit!

http://do1thing.com/calendar.php

Hi Annie

we had a part on our service meeting where we had a print out sheet that covered all the things we should have and it also contained information on having cell phone numbers for the elders and information on your own personal contact list for family out of the area that you may flee to so the brothers would know where you were if you weren't still in the area. that way they wouldn't be worried if they couldn't find you. it was quite detailed with both sides of the sheet full of information. did you all get that too?

When was that???

Hi Annie

When was that???

i am not good with dates and record keeping but i would guess about a year ago? it was a 'local needs' part.

Having recently been snowed in...I was thinking I need to put an emergency kit of things together to keep in the house...who knows with more mad weather...calamities...the great tribulation...

...and thinking in terms of someone who is on low money...so it has to be on a budget...

A girlfriend and I had a field day on this project after reading about the "Go Bag" in the Awake. We went a bit nuts! I basically packed for a survival mission! The "Go Bag" is a backpack designed to take with you in the event you need to leave your home quickly, as opposed to emergency supplies designed to keep in the home during an emergency.

For a home emergency kit, basics would include: Canned food or packaged foods that require no prep, can opener! :upsidedown: bottled water (enough for 3 days of drinking, cooking and personal use), matches, candles, flashlights, batteries, list of important numbers. The next level would include a small first aid kit, bleach for sanitizing water (in the event you needed to do this) and a face mask - for avoiding contagious viruses, dust and, chemicals - depending on what the emergency is.

A "Go Bag" would contain the basics - medications, spare glasses, some cash, list of important phone numbers, water, snacks, change of clothing etc., I also took all of my important documents and cards of every type (SS, Credit, Driver's License) and placed them on a photo copier. Then, just fold up the copy and put it in your bag. I also put in articles regarding these situations - how to conduct a memorial service, what to do if you are isolated away from the congregation - that sort of thing.

(Deuteronomy 28:3)  “Blessed you will be in the city, and blessed you will be in the field.

Being blessed by Jehovah is not contingent on location, assignment or circumstances. 

Hi Sian, I'm back again with a portion of the Awake article:

*** g 9/07 p. 7 Is God Responsible? ***

ARE YOU EQUIPPED TO FLEE?

The New York City Office of Emergency Management recommends that households plan for evacuation by assembling a “go bag”—a durable, accessible, easy-to-transport bag containing important emergency items. The following may be included:

▪ Copies of important documents in a waterproof container

▪ An extra set of car and house keys

▪ Credit or debit cards and cash

▪ Bottled water and nonperishable food

▪ Flashlight(s), AM/FM radio, cell phone (if you have one), extra batteries

▪ Medication for at least one week, a list of dosages, prescription slips, and doctors’ names and phone numbers. (Be sure to replace medications before their expiration date)

▪ First-aid kit

▪ Sturdy, comfortable shoes and rainwear

▪ Contact and meeting place information for your household, as well as a regional map

▪ Child-care supplies

[Footnote]

Although based on the official list, the above includes minor changes. Not every item listed may be suitable in your case or in your part of the world, and some items may have to be added. For example, seniors and the disabled have their own special needs.

(Deuteronomy 28:3)  “Blessed you will be in the city, and blessed you will be in the field.

Being blessed by Jehovah is not contingent on location, assignment or circumstances. 

The "Go Bag" is a backpack designed to take with you in the event you need to leave your home quickly, as opposed to emergency supplies designed to keep in the home during an emergency

Hi Lori... and that is a good suggestion...I will definitely do that 2 emergency kits...1) a backpack ready to leave ......2) a kit in the house...

I will study the articles everyone has provided to see exactly what to put in them...

thanxs to all...:D

{{Quoted contents of this post have been removed. - Bob}}

thank you, sister, for speaking out. i am so sorry for your pain. i, too, am bothered by this particular 'discussion' but was nervous to say so. we need to keep our guard up all the time and not let such foolishness into this wonderful place where we receive encouragement. Phil 4:8,9 "Finally, brothers, whatever things are true, whatever things are of serious concern, whatever things are righteous, whatever things are chaste, whatever things are lovable, whatever things are well spoken of, whatever virtue there is and whatever praiseworthy thing there is, continue considering these things. The things that YOU learned as well as accepted and heard and saw in connection with me, practice these; and the God of peace will be with you."