JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

How do I get rid of all these pop-up ads

I have Norton Utilities and I have a clean fixing program that I run regular and I still keep getting these pop-up advertisements.

{{ Move from the Public JW Interests forum to General Discussion, because the topic certainly does not fit the forum it was posted in....

Of Public Interest to Jehovah's Witnesses: Public forum for sharing things related to Jehovah's people, but not necessarily topics for in-depth discussion: i.e. commonly circulated poetry, illustrations, non-firsthand experiences, news & announcements from JW.org & theocratic pics/videos.

- Bob }}

You need and ad blocker on PC. 

Also as I have learnt the hard way when you down load a program & its a "freebie" it comes with other search & sponsored programs.

Then once they are in they are there almost forever. 

Musky is a genius at recommending how to do it.

If you also go to your control box on your computer & then look for removing programs Sometimes that can help.. 
I kept getting gadget box & other unwanted ad ons then I discovered they were also located inside the computer.

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

Any time you install new software, especially something you d/l from the Internet, make sure you really LOOK at what it is installing.

Many will have "check-boxes" that are checked by default. Many of these are to install add-ons, alternate browsers, tool-bars, etc. They should be "un-checked" before installing the software you want.

This won't solve all the pop-up problems, but it will slow things down a bit that you didn't want on there - especially those pesky "tool bars" that can pile up because you did not notice that they were gong to be installed along with what you were after.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

2 good programs: CCleaner  and Cleanup. Both free or you can buy them. I use CCleaner first and then run Cleanup when that is done. I also use a program to keep my registry in tip top condition. I run it once every week. Advanced System Care.

Since I started using these programs along with a virus protector I've had almost no problems. When I took my computer to the Geek Squad for an upgrade, they couldn't believe how clean it was.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

2 good programs: CCleaner  and Cleanup. Both free or you can buy them. I use CCleaner first and then run Cleanup when that is done. I also use a program to keep my registry in tip top condition. I run it once every week. Advanced System Care.

Since I started using these programs along with a virus protector I've had almost no problems. When I took my computer to the Geek Squad for an upgrade, they couldn't believe how clean it was.

I have always liked Advanced Windows Care. It sniffs out the bad stuff, let's you look at and decide what runs at start up, keeps you running fast.

Baseball is in the Bible... Gen 1:1 "In the big inning".

surfergirl, on 09 Oct 2013 - 02:03 AM, said:

You need and ad blocker on PC. 

Also as I have learnt the hard way when you down load a program & its a "freebie" it comes with other search & sponsored programs.

Then once they are in they are there almost forever. 

Musky is a genius at recommending how to do it.

If you also go to your control box on your computer & then look for removing programs Sometimes that can help.. 

I kept getting gadget box & other unwanted ad ons then I discovered they were also located inside the computer.

I took your advice on the ad blocker and  found a really good program (adblock plus in which Wikipedia mentioned it) that got rid of

99% of the ads.

thank you so much for your help !!! 

Thanks Mike,,

I have been given lots of great advice & help.

When I first joined the forum, I was having the same issues as yourself. 

I don't know if you have young kids. Mine are young & like to play the kids games from ABC. etc & I have noticed that they too can cause issues on the PC.

I haven't put my finger on it yet. But there is something about their programs..

I like your suggestions Vernalee.  B)

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody."