JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Homemade Horseradish recipe

Hi my cooking sisters and brothers. I have been wanting to make some homemade horseradish. It seems very simple but wanted some imput and some other receipes that you think taste better. My main problem is finding the Caldwell or Body Ecology starter culture. Here it goes:

1 cup of fresh horseradish root peeled and chopped

1 1/2 tsp unrefined sea salt

1 packet starter culture for fresh vegetables, such as Caldwell's or Body Ecology

2 tbsp to 1/4 cup filtered water as needed

combine peeled and chopped fresh horseradish root, unrefined sea salt and starter culture into the basin of a food processor. Pulse for about one minute to combine ingredients. Add two to four tablespoons filtered water to the ingredients and process for three to four minutes until a smooth paste forms, adding additional ater as necessary

take a breath walk outside, cause your eyew will burn and tears will stream down your cheeks but it is worth it. Spoon the homemade horseradish mixture into a small jar, adding additional water to completely reach the top of the jar. Cover it loosely with a lid.

Allow to ferment in a warm location in your kitchen for at least three days and up to a week before removing to cold storage. The homemade horseradish will stay good in your fridge for several months.

There it is. Tell me what you think. If you have some favorite horseradish receptes, please post them for us..... Thanks bunches!! Linna

Here is another recipe without the culture:

• 8-10-inch long piece of horseradish root
  • 2 Tbsp water
  • 1 Tbsp white vinegar
  • Pinch salt

Peel and chop the horseradish root, put into a food processor.

Add a couple if tablespoons of water.

Process until well ground.

At this point be careful. A ground up fresh horseradish is many times as potent as freshly chopped onions and can really hurt your eyes if you get too close. Keep at arms length away, and work in a well ventilated room. Strain out some of the water if the mixture is too liquid.

Add a tablespoon of white vinegar and a pinch of salt to the mixture. Pulse to combine.

Note that the vinegar will stabilize the level of hotness of the ground horseradish, so do not wait too long to add it to the mixture.

Using a rubber spatula, carefully transfer the grated horseradish to a jar. It will keep for 3 to 4 weeks in the refrigerator.

Linna, here is 2 links for the starter:

http://bodyecology.com/probiotic-culture-starters.html

http://www.amazon.com/Culture-Starter-Body-Ecology-1oz/dp/B000RW4DKO

Let us know if you make it.  It sounds great.

Thanks Brenda. I'll get some of the starter. I used to get my horseradish when traveling up to Vancouver Island. There was some place either on the island, bc or maybe Washington state on the coast. We would buy it in mason jars. Boy was that good. The stuff you can find in the stores don't come close. I'll let you know how it goes.

Here is another recipe without the culture:

• 8-10-inch long piece of horseradish root
  • 2 Tbsp water
  • 1 Tbsp white vinegar
  • Pinch salt
Peel and chop the horseradish root, put into a food processor.

Add a couple if tablespoons of water.

Process until well ground.

At this point be careful. A ground up fresh horseradish is many times as potent as freshly chopped onions and can really hurt your eyes if you get too close. Keep at arms length away, and work in a well ventilated room. Strain out some of the water if the mixture is too liquid.

Add a tablespoon of white vinegar and a pinch of salt to the mixture. Pulse to combine.

Note that the vinegar will stabilize the level of hotness of the ground horseradish, so do not wait too long to add it to the mixture.

Using a rubber spatula, carefully transfer the grated horseradish to a jar. It will keep for 3 to 4 weeks in the refrigerator.

I'll try this too. Have you made it? I miss having good horseradish around.

I'll try this too. Have you made it? I miss having good horseradish around.

I would like to make it, but have to settle for bought jars at the moment. It is very difficult to buy horseradish root in my area (it isn't a favourite of the Indian majority population).

I love horseradish too.

• 3 months later...

Your recipe, brother Christopher, is very much like the one our family used when I was a teenager. We

all got on a horseradish kick, and found Meyers was  the one we liked best from the store. So after we had

grown our own horseradish we got out a jar of Meyers and looked on the label to see what they put in it.

While we obviously didn't have some of the preservatives and more technical ingredients, we did copy it

rather faithfully. And since we made it for ourselves we felt no patent or anything like that had been vio-

lated. And from then on we were able to make horseradish as good as store bought. In my opinion even

better. and cheaper too !

GStorrs46