JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Thai food?

Love Thai food but have never made it myself.  I really miss that cuisine from LA.  The Thai ice tea looks the same in Oklahoma but does not taste exactly like it.  Similar but not the same.  Does anyone know how to make the Thai Ice Tea like the restaurants in LA?  I have tried some internet recipes and they do not work for me.  Anyone?  Please?  Love Pad Thai and glass noodles!

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Sorry I can't help with the tea but I can commiserate, when we moved away from the inner city we left behind the delicious Thai and Vietnamese Restaurants. Last night I tossed chilli, lemon grass, a couple of bunches of coriander, basil, lime juice, fish sauce in the food processor trying to replicate a fresh green curry, it was ok but not the same. 

I see plenty of recipes but just no time to waste on an experimental attempt. Especially when my hopes are set so high! It is funny how you can remember the taste of a food so exact to know it it is close or not'

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

I just went to trader joe's yesterday and stocked up (the only one is in Gainesville an hour's drive from here), and I purchased the Chi Tea mix to see if it tastes the same. The mix is for hot water or milk. We have not found a good Thai, Vietnamese or Korean restaurant yet. I make the curry dishes and Kimchi (Korean), however I agree it never tastes the same as in the restaurants (or the kimchi which I purchase at the store :) ). We are getting a trader joe's next year and they are expanding their markets elsewhere around the county so maybe we will be able to purchase the correct ingredients to be able to cook up these fabulous, healthy meals ourselves. 

I've made Thai iced tea using Thai tea I got from World Market.  (I'm not sure if you have those where you live).  I've also used gunpowder tea, a dark Chinese tea.  The only other thing I add to it is sweet milk (sweetened condensed milk).  It has turned out just like what I've had in restaurants.  I also absolutely LOVE Thai food.  If I can't find ingredients locally, which is most likely the case in Montana, I have ordered online.  Uwajimaya is a large Asian market in Seattle that ships.  They had ingredients I had never heard of! 

Proverbs 16:3  "Commit to Jehovah whatever you do and your plans will succeed."

• 2 weeks later...

Love Thai food but have never made it myself.  I really miss that cuisine from LA.  The Thai ice tea looks the same in Oklahoma but does not taste exactly like it.  Similar but not the same.  Does anyone know how to make the Thai Ice Tea like the restaurants in LA?  I have tried some internet recipes and they do not work for me.  Anyone?  Please?  Love Pad Thai and glass noodles!

I LOVE noodles!

Live long and prosper. 🖖🏻

Someone say noodles?? I bought Yakisoba Noodle, first time buying. I used the noodle with beef. I had shanks, braised, 2 of them, instead of doing the asian thing I poured my home canned beef broth in, onion, carrot, garlic and red pepper. Simmered it for a couple hours, took the meat out. When the broth was done I used the emersion blender to make the veggie broth into a gravy-like thingy. And added the sliced meat and noodle and man oh man was it ever good. The noodle tastes so different. Oh so good. Would have been better with mushrooms and edimame. Next time.     

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

• 3 weeks later...

I tried some Thai food a couple of years ago . Since I had never eaten Thai I asked the waitress what she

would recommend. She recommended some appetizers and some wonderful Thai soup. It was very hot and

spicey, which is something I love. I can't remember the name of the soup though now. Does anyone recog-

nize what I am talking about ?

GStorrss46

The waitress told me that it was a very popular Thai soup. And after having eaten it I can understand why.

It may have been Hot and Spicey Thai Soup. It had a hot and spicey broth with various vegetables and some

sort of meat. I wish now I could remember exactly what she said it was called. But one thing I do know, It was

sure good. An I would love to get some more of it.

GStorrs46