JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

"The Seekers" - Judith Durham OK?

To the brothers and sisters in Australia,

I recently came across the singing group " The Seekers" which many of you there know became

famous back in the sixties with such hits as  A World of My Own", "Georgie Girl", "The Carnival is

Over", and many others. I was particularly impressed with Judith Durham, not only for her magnificent

singing voice, but her sincerity, humility and overall life story. I understand now that last May on the

Seeker's 50th anniversary tour she had a debilitizing stroke. I was wondering if any knew her present

condition and whether anyone has been able to give her a really good witness. I know her husband

Ron died several years back of a fatal disease and while her website says she believes in God and

Christ they  had for many years before his death been exploring Eastern religions. That no doubt

colors her belief now with regard to her husband and his present condition, because I read in one

of the blogs about her  saying something like he is now progressing along the path of his spiritual

journey. That statement of course evokes  either the Hindu or Buddhist concept of the souls spiritual

progression after death to eventually merge with nirvana. I have read about what a happy couple

they were.  What she really needs is the truth about what has really happened to her husband,

as well as what could yet lay in store for her. Her beautiful singing voice has brought so much hap-

pines to so many people, I would love to see her get the truth about what is most meaningful and

important to her life. Since I understand she lives in Melbourne I thought this would be the appro-

priate place to make this inquiry.

GStorrs46

To the moderator,

Thank you for placing this in the appropriate place.

GStorrss46

• 1 month later...

Is there no one on this forum who can give me more information on Judith Durham? After recently following her

career and noting not only her great talent, but her real sense of humility I would have expected some reply to

my inquiry. Especially so since The Seekers where one of the most famous groups to come out of Australia. I

hope someone will yet reply.

GStorrs46

Brother Michael, the silence from us Aussies is deafening.   Maybe that's telling you something that you haven't quite picked up on yet.    When I hear the name 'The Seekers' come over the airwaves my hand immediately flicks the off switch.   I react the same way with Diana Ross.    Now I'm afraid I'll probably be blacklisted from this site.

Haha shelia.

I'm not a fan of them myself but I happened to see her sing at another concert, Andre guy (violin), she actually has an unbelievable voice. I so enjoyed it. Much better live. I have not heard how she is but hope she is well and singing again soon. :)

To the brothers and sisters in Australia,

I recently came across the singing group " The Seekers" which many of you there know became

famous back in the sixties with such hits as  A World of My Own", "Georgie Girl", "The Carnival is

Over", and many others. I was particularly impressed with Judith Durham, not only for her magnificent

singing voice, but her sincerity, humility and overall life story. I understand now that last May on the

Seeker's 50th anniversary tour she had a debilitizing stroke. I was wondering if any knew her present

condition and whether anyone has been able to give her a really good witness. I know her husband

Ron died several years back of a fatal disease and while her website says she believes in God and

Christ they  had for many years before his death been exploring Eastern religions. That no doubt

colors her belief now with regard to her husband and his present condition, because I read in one

of the blogs about her  saying something like he is now progressing along the path of his spiritual

journey. That statement of course evokes  either the Hindu or Buddhist concept of the souls spiritual

progression after death to eventually merge with nirvana. I have read about what a happy couple

they were.  What she really needs is the truth about what has really happened to her husband,

as well as what could yet lay in store for her. Her beautiful singing voice has brought so much hap-

pines to so many people, I would love to see her get the truth about what is most meaningful and

important to her life. Since I understand she lives in Melbourne I thought this would be the appro-

priate place to make this inquiry.

GStorrs46

Hi Michael. 

Sorry havent been able to help. I just googled to see if any lastest info. other than there was to be a concert this year.

but had to be canceled due to her health. she is on Facebook.\

I havent heard if anyone has preached to her.

we used to hear her music and the othe4r cool songs. but not anymore. 

Sorry.

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

Sheila,

I agree the silence is deafening. Is there something about my question you "Aussies" know that I am

missing ? In truth I just learned of the Seekers recently. I was looking for some ' wholesome music"

and I came across them. I actually was familiar with a number of their hits, but hadn't connected the name

with a face sort of thing. For anyone who has heard her sing, she has an incredible voice, and their harm-

onies give me goose bumps. Last year she experienced a stroke on the Seeker's 50th anniversary tour.

In that I somewhat connect her with my Mom, who also had a stroke. This lead to her developing De-

mentia. She died of that 3 years ago this summer. So you can see some of the connection. Most of my

talent an interest in music came to me from my mother. So perhaps you can better understand my questions

GStorrs46

To all who have responded to my inquiries,

I do thank you for what information you have been able to give me. From some of the videos of the Seekers

there in Australia they appear to have come to represent Australian pride and patriotism. If that is the case I

can understand the feelings of some of the friends. In fact I learned that one of their songs " I am Australian ",

has become a sort of unofficial national anthem. I personally think it is a beautiful song, but if it is used to ex-

alt Australia over other nations, and also obscurs the message of the Kingdom, I can see were there would

be a real problem.

Yet, at the same time in the research I did on Judith Durham herself, I came away impressed with the fact that

despite her great talent, she was actually a rather shy and humble woman. She appeared to have a genuine

concern for others, and this came through in her music. As I reflected on her life and her marriage to her hus-

band Ron, she appeared to me to be a rather rare breed to have had the fame and fortune that she did and

not let it go all to her head. I particularly sympathized with the fact of how close her marriage appeared to be,

a feat all the more rare in today's world, and that her husband died tragically from a fatal illness after only 25

years of marriage. Jesus told us that when we go preaching the good news, to seek out the deserving ones

and go to them. The more I learned about her and her life, the more I felt she fit in that category. However I

am in no position to give a witness to her. For one thing, I live half way around the world. And I thought, now

that I am on this format, perhaps Jehovah has made it now possible to reach out to some of you friends there

in Australia that could. Fiona, you said you heard her sing live. And you know what an incredible voice she has.

What if she could recover enough and use that incredible voice of hers to praise Jehovah ? What a wonderful

thing that would be !

GStorrs46

Michael, The Seekers came onto the scene around the time of Cliff Richard and the Shadows in the UK, in the early 60's.    One of the Shadows, Hank Marvin, is a JW and now living in Perth, Australia, so although not certain, I imagine that The Seekers would've received a witness at some stage since then.  (Olivia Newton-John was dating Cliff Richard back then).   We also had a very popular 4 man pop group in New Zealand and two of those are JWs,  they wouldve all mixed and talked to others in the industry.  Prince does these days, and I think George Benson is still a JW.   No matter who you are, if you have the right heart condition Jehovah makes sure you are given the chance.  You may recall that President Obama was spoken to - early last year(?), and one of the European Princesses used to take the magazines - sooner or later most people are given the opportunity.   We're pretty laid back over here Michael, and we dont fawn over celebrities like they do overseas, so she's probably been approached by someone in the door to door work somewhere along the line. 

Edited by Sheila

Sheila,

I thank you for your reply. and I realize there are a number of famous Jehovah's witnesses in the entertainment

industry that over the years may have had an opportunity to give them a witness. While many here in the U.S. do

fawn over celebrities, and even some witnesses, I can assure I am not one of them. This is in fact the first celebrity

that I have specifically asked about. and for reasons I have already spelled out in this post. Like experiences you

read about out in service, that for some reason a sister or brother felt impelled to take a certain door, I likewise

felt impelled to make this inquiry. In addition , due to the fact of my joining this forum, for the first time in my life I

have the privilege of talking to some of you friends who live "down under" ( how did that expression get started any-

way ? ) With the convention in Melborne this year ( where Judith Durham lives ), there seemed to me to be too many

things involved for this all to be just a coincidence. So I will let you drawn your own conclusions Sheila. But the Scrip-

tures show Jehovah draws the deserving ones to him. And how does He do that ? I again will let you answer.

GStorrs46

Oh Michael, please dont think that I was suggesting you were fawning over her, I truly wasnt inferring that at all.   And honestly, she probably doesn't even get recognized by the ordinary man or woman in the street.  We seem to live a totally different lifestyle over here.   If someone makes it big we slap 'em on the back and say 'good on yer mate' and let them get on with it.  We're happy for them.  Its the sportsmen and women who get fawned over here, bit like the UK where the locals have their favourite teams and life sucks if our team loses !!   I don't quite get the point about coincidences and Judith Durham living in Melbourne and the international convention being held in Melbourne.   Anyway, its called 'down under' because we live 'down underneath the top part of the world'.   And before anyone asks, no, we're not worried about falling off and floating out into space.  Although I must admit that  I've been using the expression 'Stop the world I want to get off' a few times recently, sometimes it can all get a bit overwhelming.  We're all struggling in different ways, but thank goodness the truth and our brothers and sisters are there to keep up sane and grounded. 

Deennna,

I am glad I was able to help you connect with who was the singer behind the hit. That was part of the surprise

for me too, as I was unformiliar with the Seekers as a singing group. But some of their other hits which I am sure

you will recognize when Judith Durham was their lead singer at the time were: " I'll Never Find Another You," "A

World of Our Own," as well as a number of lesser known songs. Two that I really liked were " The Carnival is Over, "

which I think we can all relate to at different times in out life, and "Morningtown Ride." I'm glad my post brought

back some happy memories. That is why I sought to find out their type of music and why after I did I was glad with

what I found. With all of the objectional music we have today I just wanted some enjoyable "feel good" music to listen

too when I felt the need for it.

GStorrs46

Sheila,

Thank you your clarification of "fawning over". I was unsure just what you were trying to say. That is the

reason I responded like I did. I also appreciate your answering the question about why Australia is called

the "land down under". I always suspected that was the reason, but now I've heard from the mouth of a

real "Aussie".

As for the coincidence thing, you remember I explained I had only recently learned of the existence of

Judith Durham and the Seekers, as I have explained again in my post to Deenna. It was as a result of this

I began to do some background research on the Seekers as a group, and Judith Durham as a person. As

a result I came away with many of the feelings and findings I have described in my earlier posts ( please

see those ). I noted too that Judith and I shared a number of similarities in our life. Her interest in music

was originally cultivated by her family. While I certainly do not have a singing voice like Judith's, in my

later life it has appeared Jehovah has blessed me with the ability to do what I have always wished for,

and that is to sing.. And I know she feels the same about her own ability, because I have heard her in an

interview express those very thoughts. As I have mentioned her husband Ron died of a fatal illness, motor

neuron disease. After this, as a tribute to her husband, and to help others suffering from the same disease,

she established a fund to help such ones.

I likewise suffer from Bipolar disorder, a leg amputation, and a number of other illnesses and diabilities

and in 2011 I lost my dear mother after about a 3 year battle with Dementia. That same year I started

studying online for my bachelors degree in psychology. It is my hope that by this means, and all the Society

is now publishing about these serious problems ( see the section in this forum on mental health problems,

comfort and recovery ) to likewise use these experiences yet for good. So you see, for me there has been

what I felt was a a lot of personal connection with her. As a result I began to feel a deep sense of wondering

whether she had really received a good witness, the type that would understand her from where she was

coming from, and her experiences in life. Even though I began to feel that way, I had no way to act on that

with exception of writing a letter or maybe trying to send an e-mail, which in all probability would screened

by those who work for her, and be disregarded.

Then I rather unexpectedly became a member of JWTalk. I say unexpectedly, because as the Society has

warned, most of the sites like this are filled with hidden dangers, from apostates, and other undesirables. So

I checked out this site thoroughly before deciding to join. This leads now to the "coincidence part". I apologize

for this rather longwinded explanation. But after you e-mail back I felt you needed it so you could really grasp

my point. So now I gone from the point of really not knowing anyone in Australia, to being able to connect with

many of you living "in the land down under". And what is more you are familiar with many of the local conditions,

which of course I am not. I also was not aware there was to be an international convention in Melborne un-

til you friends started talking about it. So here I've gone in the time of about 2 months from first learning of

Judith Durham, and her life. and feeling the need and desire that she received a good witness. To doors

opening to express these sentiments to you friends their in Australia, whereas before I had no real way other

contact the Society directly. So to conclude, Sheila, if this is all just a coincidence, you have to admit it is a

pretty amazing coincidence. But maybe something more is at work here. As one of my favorite circuit over-

seers used to say" " Something for you to think about " - Ron Nixon

GStorrs46