JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Total lunar eclipse: ‘Blood moons’ to begin April 14-15

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3635 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

pretty cool. first eclipse on memorial night. would it be considered astrology to be curious about possible significance of this!? 3 more of these eclipses on the way after this one -- October 8 2014, April 4 2015 (memorial), and Sept 28 2015. interesting ....

http://www.sciencerecorder.com/news/total-lunar-eclipse-blood-moons-to-begin-april-15/

Total lunar eclipse 2014: Moon to be painted red April 14-15

http://nvonews.com/2014/03/31/total-lunar-eclipse-2014-moon-to-be-painted-red-april-14-15/

pretty cool. first eclipse on memorial night. would it be considered astrology to be curious about possible significance of this!? 3 more of these eclipses on the way after this one -- October 8 2014, April 4 2015 (memorial), and Sept 28 2015. interesting ....

Hi Brando. Lunar eclipses happen quite often, at least twice a year, and they always happen when there is full moon. The same can be said about the Memorial, it always falls on a full moon or the night before a full moon.

Since there are 13 full moons every year, and in two of them there's a lunar eclipse, it's not that unusual that there's one on Memorial night. It doesn't have any special meaning, just that the Earth is between the Sun and the Moon and therefore blocks the sunlight.

It will be nice to watch, though. :)

I just asked about this in deep bible discussions...because I got a study started because of this occurring soon...there is something a little different about this because NASA has an article on it..it has not happened since the 1900 with several different things happening in sequence.

I know the there is discussion amongst religions, but there is a few scripture speaking about this as well Luke 21:25 for instance, and it speaks of there being signs in the sun and the moon and stars at the time of the end...what do others think?

From the article:

Usually, lunar eclipses come in no particular order. A partial can be followed by a total, followed by a penumbral, and so on.  Anything goes. Occasionally, though, the sequence is more orderly. When four consecutive lunar eclipses are all total, the series is called a tetrad.

"During the 21st century, there are 9 sets of tetrads, so I would describe tetrads as a frequent occurrence in the current pattern of lunar eclipses," says Espenak

If you are looking for this to have some Biblical significance, I wouldn't. This is a natural occurring phenomena that can easily be predicted 1,000s if not 10,000s of years ahead of time. 

The ones mentioned in Matt 24 regarding "the sign of the Son of man" are going to be SUPER natural - not signs easily predicted by a calendar. 

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Ok but how do you discuss this with someone not in the truth. Because to them you will look like you are saying, yes the bible says there will be signs in the sun and moon and stars at the time of the end before Jesus returns but this is not it even though it is different it is not what we are looking for...please help me figure out something significant to say in response because what this person also brought up was the comets/asteroids that have been happening so frequently lately, as within the last yr or so...

Matthew is different than what is spoken of in. Luke 21:25 it specifically states sun, moon, stars. Jesus presence will not be visible we know and it's funny because I have the part for this week on that subject, but the scripture in Luke is speaking specifically of signs to look for at the end. Please help clarify this Jerry not excluding my other brothers and sisters...

I just asked about this in deep bible discussions...because I got a study started because of this occurring soon...there is something a little different about this because NASA has an article on it..it has not happened since the 1900 with several different things happening in sequence.

I know the there is discussion amongst religions, but there is a few scripture speaking about this as well Luke 21:25 for instance, and it speaks of there being signs in the sun and the moon and stars at the time of the end...what do others think?

Hi Catrina.

I absolutely agree with Jerry above, for several reasons.

As was mentioned before, lunar eclipses happen quite often, twice a year. They can be total or partial, that is, the whole moon is darkened, or just a part of it. The "unusual" thing this time is that the next four lunar eclipses are total. That's all. There's nothing special about it. Exactly the same thing happened in 1949 and also in 1967, and that didn't mean anything special.

One reason why those eclipses don't have anything to do with the sign of the Son of Man is that they will only be visible from North and South America. At the time the eclipse happens, it will be daytime in the rest of the world. :)  The signs announced in Matthew 24 should be seen throughout the globe, so that "and all the tribes of the earth will beat themselves in grief".

Matthew 24 and the other passages describing heavenly signs mention some other things happening besides the Moon turning red: the Sun will be darkened and the stars will fall from heaven. It's dificult to explain those with just a simple lunar eclipse. As Jerry mentioned, they are supernatural events, not just natural events that happen continuously.

Last of all, those signs in the sky take place in the final part of the great tribulation, after the proclamation of peace and security, the destruction of Babylon the Great and Gog's attack on Jehovah's people, just immediately before Armageddon. Since those things haven't happened yet, these eclipses can't have anything to do with the signs described in Matthew 24.

However, you can tell your student about all the other things foretold in the Scriptures as signs of the last days, and whose fulfillment we see everyday: wars, famine, earthquakes, epidemics and the like.

Ok but how do you discuss this with someone not in the truth. Because to them you will look like you are saying, yes the bible says there will be signs in the sun and moon and stars at the time of the end before Jesus returns but this is not it even though it is different it is not what we are looking for...please help me figure out something significant to say in response because what this person also brought up was the comets/asteroids that have been happening so frequently lately, as within the last yr or so...

Matthew is different than what is spoken of in. Luke 21:25 it specifically states sun, moon, stars. Jesus presence will not be visible we know and it's funny because I have the part for this week on that subject, but the scripture in Luke is speaking specifically of signs to look for at the end. Please help clarify this Jerry not excluding my other brothers and sisters...

You know. I think ..... Rather than say - "you are wrong" I have found it better to just move their focus to what is important.

An example here would be, to say, "That is interesting and close. You know the Bible has been foretelling celestial features like these connected to the last days AND YOU KNOW WHAT it says next??? Look at this in Joel 2:

28 After that I will pour out my spirit on every sort of flesh,

And your sons and your daughters will prophesy,
Your old men will dream dreams,
And your young men will see visions.
29 And even on my male slaves and female slaves
I will pour out my spirit in those days.
30 And I will give wonders in the heavens and on the earth,
Blood and fire and columns of smoke.
31 The sun will be turned into darkness and the moon into blood
Before the coming of the great and awe-inspiring day of Jehovah.
32 And everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved;
For on Mount Zion and in Jerusalem there will be those who escape, just as Jehovah has said,
The survivors whom Jehovah calls.”

Did you note what we need to do knowing that this coming???"

This way we don't get into a debate about "is this it" or as Jesus said, "see here or see there .." But rather help them to get into the Kingdom and a good relationship with their Maker. 

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Excellent brother, very clear and precise. I really appreciate the assistance on this because for some reason I couldn't get this straight, now with the facts that you have listed, which are several, it is clear to me so I can speak with confidence. I love all of you brothers and sisters, thanks for helping... :)

• 2 weeks later...

This must be what my study was talking about, but I am sure after they have happened and the world doesn't end they will see that this is another false prophecy for our day. I loved the comment that was brought out that when It is from Jehovah it will be seen all over the world by everyone, not just in a region...