JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

BYU Collebe b-ball star gets kicked off the team for having sex

Just did a little search on this...

BYU Basketball player gets suspended for premarital sex

The BYU Basketball team is in shock over the decision of the officials of suspending one of their players for having had sex with his girlfriend. The BYU Basketball player, Brandon Davies, apparently had premarital sex with his girlfriend, which means he has violated the Honor code of BYU and that is why he has been suspended for the rest of the season. BYU Basketball team is one of the nationally ranked teams for the NCAA championship which is merely weeks away. Does the BYU really expect the BYU Basketball team to abstain from premarital sex? Yes, it’s a rule.

There are rumors that Brandon Davies, an excellent player of the BYU Basketball team apparently got his girlfriend pregnant and that how everyone found out about the premarital sex. The coach of BYU Basketball team addressed the team regarding the dismissal of Brandon Davies and said that he was positive the player would be back on the team very soon.

allvoices.com

...well if them is the rules...them is the rules...

and I have found a copy of the rules...

Honor Code Statement

We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men. . . . If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things (Thirteenth Article of Faith).

As a matter of personal commitment, faculty, administration, staff, and students of Brigham Young University, Brigham Young University—Hawaii, Brigham Young University—Idaho, and LDS Business College seek to demonstrate in daily living on and off campus those moral virtues encompassed in the gospel of Jesus Christ, and will

Be honest

Live a chaste and virtuous life

Obey the law and all campus policies

Use clean language

Respect others

Abstain from alcoholic beverages, tobacco, tea, coffee, and substance abuse

Participate regularly in church services

Observe the Dress and Grooming Standards

Encourage others in their commitment to comply with the Honor Code

Specific policies embodied in the Honor Code include (1) the Academic Honesty Policy, (2) the Dress and Grooming Standards, (3) the Residential Living Standards, and (4) the Continuing Student Ecclesiastical Endorsement. (Refer to institutional policies for more detailed information.)

...I don't think you would get anything like that in the UK...

Abstain from alcoholic beverages, tea, coffee

Oh I gotta have my beer. Tea is good, especially a hot toddy. Coffee?? Abstain from coffee??? WHY???

There is nothing unbiblical about alcohol, tea, or coffee. I am confused as to why they have this rule.

Abstain from alcoholic beverages, tea, coffee

Oh I gotta have my beer. Tea is good, especially a hot toddy. Coffee?? Abstain from coffee??? WHY???

There is nothing unbiblical about alcohol, tea, or coffee. I am confused as to why they have this rule.

We have a lot Mormons in Las Vegas. They have some interesting beliefs. One of the "holy" books they use is called "Doctrines and Covenants". They wrote down revelations from their various leaders in it. Here is the one from Joseph Smith - their fist leader -

A Word of Wisdom, for the benefit of the council of high priests, assembled in Kirtland, and the church, and also the saints in Zion—

To be sent greeting; not by commandment or constraint, but by revelation and the word of wisdom, showing forth the order and will of God in the temporal salvation of all saints in the last days

Given for a principle with promise, adapted to the capacity of the weak and the weakest of all saints, who are or can be called saints.

Behold, verily, thus saith the Lord unto you: In consequence of evils and designs which do and will exist in the hearts of conspiring men in the last days, I have warned you, and forewarn you, by giving unto you this word of wisdom by revelation—

That inasmuch as any man drinketh wine or strong drink among you, behold it is not good, neither meet in the sight of your Father, only in assembling yourselves together to offer up your sacraments before him.

And, behold, this should be wine, yea, pure wine of the grape of the vine, of your own make.

And, again, strong drinks are not for the belly, but for the washing of your bodies.

And again, tobacco is not for the body, neither for the belly, and is not good for man, but is an herb for bruises and all sick cattle, to be used with judgment and skill.

And again, hot drinks are not for the body or belly.

And again, verily I say unto you, all wholesome herbs God hath ordained for the constitution, nature, and use of man—

Every herb in the season thereof, and every fruit in the season thereof; all these to be used with prudence and thanksgiving.

So all hot drinks are out. Now don't youo love that we have the truth and not some fickle god who changes his mind all the time and lays down all kinds of rules.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

And again, hot drinks are not for the body or belly.

that's interesting...I think I will look at the wtcd ...to see if there is anymore...I have only one experience with Mormons...and I placed 3 mags with them on Revelation...about 23 years ago...the one of them had an uncle who was a Jehovahs Witnesses..

Sian, you will quickly be disgusted...

While they do have some commendable ideas, their beliefs and traditions are way out of line with the Holy Scriptures.

The have a hand in politics, and a quite violent past,...search 'Mountain Meadow Massacre'.....not exactly having love for 'all sorts of men'....

I was only going to look at the tea and coffee aspect...:tea::coffee:..could not find anything on Wt cdrom...so I did a Internet search

Mormons and Caffeine – Do Mormons Drink Caffeine

What the LDS Word of Wisdom Says About Caffeinated Drinks or Food

Do Mormons drink caffeine? The LDS church has no official position on foods and drinks containing caffeine, but counsels members to use the Word of Wisdom as their guide.

While high-caffeine foods like chocolate and caffeinated drinks like cocoa and soda are not officially prohibited in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS or Mormon,) many Mormons avoid them. Mormon church leaders advise members to read the Word of Wisdom and use it to make their own decisions about drinking caffeine.

http://www.suite101.com/content/mormons-and-caffeine-a187573

btw...

on another site I saw...

i thought it was because of caffeine, but many mormons on here tell me that they CAN drink caffeine, so that can’t be it.

its not because its a hot drink either, cause they drink hot cocoa.

yes I know ...drinking hot cocoa...::o hypocrites..

While they do have some commendable ideas, their beliefs and traditions are way out of line with the Holy Scriptures.

The have a hand in politics, and a quite violent past,...search 'Mountain Meadow Massacre'.....not exactly having love for 'all sorts of men'....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_Meadows_massacre

Geez...........