JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Food prices high! What price nutrition?

Following on from reading the thread about fuel prices and food prices increasing, I thought it would be interesting to know how brothers in different places ensure a nutritious diet in difficult economic times.

My wife and I have been buying more fresh food (seasonal) and cooking from scratch, rather than relying on processed foods. (We also grow a small amount of food in our tiny garden - asparagus, green beans, strawberries and raspberries, garlic.) This is important for me, as I have to eat to maintain lower cholesterol, lower blood sugar AND try to lose weight! I am 'on a high' today as I have weighed in at under 93kg for the first time in ages - but with my heart struggling I need to lose more weight and reduce the strain on it.

I have been watching (in small youtube chunks) the American TV series "Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution" with great interest (and not a little horror!) as he tries to get a small town to change its eating habits, and found it a fascinating insight into the mentality of this small town (Fries counts as a vegetable!) but also see the desire for change to a healthier diet.

A UK tv series highlighted recently the tremendous amount of food wasted by supermarkets because of their 'stack it high, price it low, throw it away' policies. Hundreds of tons of food waste - much of it perfectly edible - and also prices paid to farmers well below the cost of production, causing some to plough back whole fields of food they cannot sell, or even sell their dairy herds because they cannot produce milk cheaply enough to match the price being paid for it! This led to a British chef starting the Peoples' Supermarket owned by members and staffed by members voluntarily. Something similar on a larger scale exists in Brooklyn N.Y.

I always cook from scratch...I do not buy any processed food...the last time I looked at a frozen chocolate cake...in the supermarket...the first ingredient was potato starch:eek:

I have my groceries delivered from the supermarket...all the basics...I have health problems and do not work...so I have the time and motivation...but I can see how people with families and heavy workloads just eat anything that is quick and easy to prepare...regardless of the nutrition value...

I do not buy my dogs dog food either...but cook them rice...vegetables...with some meat...

It is so sad when you see in this world now...tons of food going to waste...and poor people starving...but then an evolutionist would probably say it was survival of the fittest...

it will be great in the paradise... when we can see everyone on the planet eating beautiful delicious food...

I watched the recent TV series in the UK: Jamie Oliver's 30-minute meals. It really has enthused me to cook fresh ingredients and to believe that I can do it! Using more herbs/spices than before and discovered the joys of lemon juice, something I never thought of using before.

I often watch Jamie Oliver, I think he has the gift to make anything he cooks into something you want to eat. I used to be a vegetarian and when I watched one of his shows I even wanted to eat meat because it looked so delicious and he so enthusastic about it. *gggg

• 4 weeks later...

I'm just baking some bread....

first some buns (or Semmel like we call them in Austria....)

I'm really proud of them, they look so good (I think):

img_0023.jpg

img_0024.jpg

I used some "sourdough powder" - don't know how you call it, but this seems to make a big difference (I normally use yeast only), they are so fluffy and big and I can't wait to eat them.. *ggg

I'm just baking some bread....

first some buns (or Semmel like we call them in Austria....)

I'm really proud of them, they look so good (I think):

I used some "sourdough powder" - don't know how you call it, but this seems to make a big difference (I normally use yeast only), they are so fluffy and big and I can't wait to eat them.. *ggg

Hy Astrid,

die Semmeln schaun echt lecker aus! Verrätst Du mir das Rezept? O.K. Ich versuchs auf englisch:

Your "Semmeln" looks very tasty! Would you tell me the receipe??:drool:

Und was ist das Rezept auf English, bitte?

:crush:

1 kg spelt flour

750 ml water, handwarm

1 package dry sourdough powder

1 cube rresh yeast (I guess you can use dried yeast too, I just prefer the fresh one)

2 tablespoons olive oil

2 tablespoons salt

the dough was rather sticky, and I had to knead more flour into it

I formed six buns and one loaf, and gave them into the oven with 50 °C (about 120°F) to let the dough prove. After 30 minutes it was tripled (at least).

Then baked at 180 °C (370 ?) and bake the buns about 20 minutes, the loaf needed a longer time (30-35 minutes). I checked regulary because it's never the same.

Vielen dank! Tut mir leid, mein deutsch ist schlecht. Ich habe deutsch in der Schule gelernt!

I think we would have trouble buying the sourdough extract here, and I can't quite see what its purpose is as yeast is used too!

My wife has begun her own sourdough starter today (following videos on youtube!) as she wants to make her own sourdough bread. Currently we buy it from supermarkets ready baked - so much nicer than mass-produced bread!

Cinnamon is a useful spice, it enhances flavour and it stimulates the liver to do something (I forget what) which in turn lowers blood sugar. Don't overdo it though I think it can be toxic if too much is consumed. I sprinkle it on my porridge for breakfast and over sliced apple which I pop in the microwave for 20 or 30 seconds, yum.

I love Jamie Oliver's recipes, I just got the 30 Minute Meals book.