JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Official JW Press Release - Earthquake and tsunami in Japan

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 4809 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Earthquake and tsunami in Japan

by JW-Media.org | For Immediate Release | March 16, 2011 | (Japanese, Russian)

NEW YORK—Jehovah’s Witnesses worldwide are expressing deep concern for the victims of the magnitude 9.0 earthquake that struck the northeastern region of mainland Japan on March 11, 2011. It is regarded as the worst earthquake in Japan’s history and the fourth largest in the world since 1900, triggering a tsunami that devastated cities along the eastern coastline of Japan. One news agency in Japan reported a confirmed death toll of over 4,300 as of March 16. The quake and tsunami also led to explosions at a nuclear power plant 170 miles north of Tokyo.

Jehovah’s Witnesses are making particular inquiries about their fellow worshippers in the affected regions of Japan. Though located hundreds of miles away from the epicenter, those working at the Witnesses’ branch office in Japan reported that they felt the “strong swing of the buildings” where they worked. None of the Witnesses at the branch office were injured, and although it appears that the buildings sustained relatively minor damage, structural assessments are yet to be completed. There are approximately 2,300 Witnesses in the areas affected by the tsunami. Sadly, preliminary reports received on March 15 confirm that 2 Witnesses were killed and 115 were missing. Five houses of worship used by the Witnesses, called Kingdom Halls, were destroyed.

In cooperation with local authorities and other relief agencies, the Witnesses arranged to help meet the immediate needs of their fellow worshippers and other victims in Japan, establishing three teams to help organize disaster relief. These teams are working diligently to contact congregations of Jehovah’s Witnesses in the devastated areas and care for the spiritual, physical, and material needs of their fellow believers. The Witnesses’ international relief efforts are being coordinated from their world headquarters in Brooklyn. The Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses is caring for these expenses by utilizing funds donated to the Witnesses’ worldwide work.

Jehovah’s Witnesses have been actively promoting Bible education in Japan for nearly 100 years.

Article Source: Official Media Site of Jehovah's Witnesses

It's nice to see an official press release now. It matches up with the other reports that have been circulating to the exact detail.

I heard that it is hard to organize relief efforts because of the extensive damage, and that the government is very much involved in regulating everything over there.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Thats sad. If you're still missing now, its almost a week after so I think its basically over, barring a miracle rescue or person trapped in a house surviving off rain water. So looks like the Witness death toll will be over 100 and the overall over 10000. Thats a lot of people, wow. Sad story..

Thats sad. If you're still missing now, its almost a week after so I think its basically over, barring a miracle rescue or person trapped in a house surviving off rain water. So looks like the Witness death toll will be over 100 and the overall over 10000. Thats a lot of people, wow. Sad story..

I don't agree. "Missing" means that they haven't been accounted for. Some could have been in other towns, or just have not been able to reach their Group Overseer to let them know of their safety.

THE terrible toll of Japan's double disaster could rise as high as 25,000.

As rescue crews trawled through the tsunami wasteland, officials from the coastal town of Ishinomaki confirmed 10,000 of its citizens were missing.

The unimaginable figure is the same as in the town of Minami Sanriku, which lost about half its population when razed by the 10m wall of water.

So far the official death toll has hit 4340, with another 9083 people missing. But there are very real fears that the statistics have been underestimated.

Chiba University associate professor Ken Joseph is in Ishinomaki with the Japan Emergency Team.

"I think the death toll is going to be closer to 100,000 than 10,000," he said.

"I have been to every disaster zone in the last 20 years and I have never seen anything remotely like this."

full article

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/special-reports/japan-crisis-death-toll-could-top-25000/story-fn7zkbgs-1226023578542

I don't agree. "Missing" means that they haven't been accounted for. Some could have been in other towns, or just have not been able to reach their Group Overseer to let them know of their safety.

Well lets hope you are right.

Like sianrose posted below... don't put your hopes on it though.

The latest information I got from the Japan Branch is as follows

Latest report on the earthquake/tsunami.

Relief teams in Morioka, Sendai, Koriyama are helping to provide food and blankets. Tel lines still not working.

2 are confirmed dead.

4 seriously injured.

18 missing. (down from 115)

3 KH completely destroyed

3 KH damaged

80 homes complete destroyed.

124 partial

The latest information I got from the Japan Branch is as follows

Latest report on the earthquake/tsunami.

Relief teams in Morioka, Sendai, Koriyama are helping to provide food and blankets. Tel lines still not working.

2 are confirmed dead.

4 seriously injured.

18 missing. (down from 115)

3 KH completely destroyed

3 KH damaged

80 homes complete destroyed.

124 partial

That's a huge difference (in the missing) is your source reliable? I was so hurt to think of so many missing, if about 80 have been located that would be wonderful. Still terribly sad of course, but less terrible than over 100...

How much longer will this sad system last!

:(

To everyone here.

I appreciate the concern as to the source of this information but I can assure you it is correct.

This was read out by the CBE at the last meeting from the platform from a letter provided by the Japan Branch

Indeed we can rejoice that the number was reduced so much.

I will post whatever information I receive only when it is confirmed by the Elders and

those that I know who are involved in the relief work

I appreciate that at these times wrong information can be passed around but I am concerned as much as all of us to

get the correct facts before posting.

Let us continue to pray for brothers involved in this terrible catastrophe and put our full trust in Jehovah to provide what is needed right now

Thank you

Catalyst ( Steve)

To everyone here.

I appreciate the concern as to the source of this information but I can assure you it is correct.

This was read out by the CBE at the last meeting from the platform from a letter provided by the Japan Branch

Indeed we can rejoice that the number was reduced so much.

I will post whatever information I receive only when it is confirmed by the Elders and

those that I know who are involved in the relief work

Thank you for the extra assurance. I shared some of this information now on the front page of the news portion of this site, because certainly it is an encouragement to all.

We look forward to more information as it becomes available.

Thanks Steve!

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!