JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Witnesses continue relief work in Japan - jwmedia.org

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 4776 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Witnesses continue relief work in Japan

by JW-Media.org | For Immediate Release | March 25, 2011 | (Japanese, Russian)

NEW YORK—In the two weeks since the devastating earthquake and tsunami struck Japan, Jehovah’s Witnesses have been working hard to provide assistance to their fellow believers and other victims in the affected areas. News reports on March 25, 2011, indicate that the latest death toll from the March 11 earthquake and tsunami has surpassed 10,000, with nearly 17,500 others listed as missing.

Emerging details are helping the Witnesses and others performing relief work to get a clearer picture of what is needed to help the victims. The Witnesses’ branch office in Japan established contact with local congregations to assist them in obtaining information on the 115 Witnesses who were reported missing as of March 15; that number has now been reduced to 16. While initial reports indicated that five places of worship used by the Witnesses, called Kingdom Halls, were destroyed, the branch office has now confirmed that three Kingdom Halls were destroyed and another three Kingdom Halls were damaged extensively or flooded. Sadly, the branch office also confirmed that the death toll among the Witnesses has risen to four.

One of the teams of Witnesses providing relief to the disaster victims reported that 11 truckloads of supplies were sent to one affected area during the first few days. Despite the many challenges faced by the victims, congregations of Jehovah’s Witnesses in the areas devastated by the tsunami have continued to hold worship services, providing spiritual comfort and encouragement to both the Witnesses themselves and their non-Witness neighbors in the area.

Jehovah’s Witnesses continue coordinating their international relief efforts from their world headquarters in Brooklyn. The Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses is caring for these expenses by utilizing funds donated to the Witnesses’ worldwide work. There are over 218,000 Witnesses in Japan.

Article Source: Official Media Website of Jehovah's Witnesses

That just brings tears to my eyes.

I was thinking how much these brothers would need each other and the meetings, and they would not have had that...........BUT, I was wrong!

How wonderful they have had the meetings continue, how blessed we are to have Jehovah organize us.

our Japanese brothers are so faithful, so hard working ... I'm so sad we have lost 20 of the friends but so relieved is wasn't more;.. what tragic times we're living in...

In the new system when we tell people that didn't live through this of the numbers of people killed by these events they will have a hard time believing it. We need each other so much in these times!

I thought this was interesting...from an newspaper in Illinois ...usa

The Canton congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses, along with other congregations of Jehovah's Witnesses throughout the world, are providing disaster relief for the victims of the earthquake and tsunami in Japan.

Preliminary reports March 15 said two members of Jehovah's Witnesses in Japan were killed and 115 were missing. Five houses of worship used by Jehovah's Witnesses, called Kingdom Halls, were destroyed. There are approximately 2,300 Witnesses in the areas affected by the tsunami.

A magnitude 9.0 earthquake struck the northeastern region of mainland Japan on March 11. It triggered a tsunami that devastated cities along the eastern coastline of Japan. A death toll of thousands has been confirmed. The temblor and tidal wave also led to explosions at a nuclear power plant 170 miles north of Tokya.

In cooperation with local authorities and other relief agencies, the Witnesses arranged to help meet the immediate needs of their fellow worshipers and other victims in Japan, establishing three teams to help coordinate disaster relief. Those teams are working to contact congregations of Jehovah's Witnesses in stricken areas and care for the spiritual, physical and material needs of their fellow believers.

The Witnesses' international relief efforts are being coordinated from their world headquarters in Boston. The Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses is attending to those expenses by utilizing funds donated to the Witnesses' worldwide work.

http://www.cantondailyledger.com/news/x855928548/Church-window

Despite the many challenges faced by the victims, congregations of Jehovah’s Witnesses in the areas devastated by the tsunami have continued to hold worship services, providing spiritual comfort and encouragement to both the Witnesses themselves and their non-Witness neighbors in the area.

If those who are devasted by disaster could still continue in their service to Jehovah, to the extent that worldly people could notice, then l have no excuse

The Witnesses' international relief efforts are being coordinated from their world headquarters in Boston. The Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses is attending to those expenses by utilizing funds donated to the Witnesses' worldwide work.

I didn't realize our world headquarters are in Boston?...:oops:

I didn't realize our world headquarters are in Boston?...:oops:

I was thinking the same thing when I read this. :readbible: Oh well.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....