JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

EV-D86 - Non-Polio Enterovirus

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3493 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Who has gotten it: - http://www.cdc.gov/non-polio-enterovirus/outbreaks/EV-D68-outbreaks.html

• Almost all the confirmed cases this year of EV-D68 infection have been among children. Many of the children had asthma or a history of wheezing.

Have MANY children died of it?

http://www.pharmacytimes.com/news/Enterovirus-US-Death-Toll-Surpasses-Ebola

The debilitating respiratory virus impacting hundreds of children throughout the United States claimed its second victim late last week. 

What else can we know about this years "outbreak"

http://www.cdc.gov/non-polio-enterovirus/outbreaks/EV-D68-outbreaks.html

• Every year, enteroviruses and rhinoviruses cause millions of respiratory illnesses in children. This year, EV-D68 has been the most common type of enterovirus identified, leading to increases in illnesses among children and affecting those with asthma most severely. Other rhinoviruses and enteroviruses continue to be detected as well.

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

(EV-D68 has been detected in specimens from seven*patients who died and had samples submitted for testing. CDC is reporting test results to state health departments as we obtain them.) this was stated from the first url you posted. So how many kids have died?

(Four other children who recently died have tested positive for EV-D68, though health care officials noted it is not yet clear what role, if any, the virus played in their deaths. A 10-year-old child from Rhode Island who died on September 22, 2014, was the first death to be recorded with a confirmed presence of EV-D68.)

This is from the second url you posted

Third url posted stated this: EV-D68 has been detected in specimens from seven*patients who died and had samples submitted for testing. CDC is reporting test results to state health departments as we obtain them.

I am not trying to bug you but their terminology is confusing.

I noticed the after the seven* and that the CDC is still investigating. It seems this puts it better

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2014/10/13/michigan-toddler-dies-after-becoming-infected-with-enterovirus-68/

Reid is the second child to die while infected with the particularly severe strain of the virus this year.

Four others infected with the virus also died, the CDC previously announced. But officials aren't sure what role EVD-68 played in those deaths, the AP reported.

I realize that 2 + 4 = 6 and NOT 7. It seems there is one more, but it hasn't been confirmed what part EV-D86 has had in the death there either.

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

From that article in the Washington Post - 

"While severe illness in children is always a concern, it's important to remember that very few people who contract EV-D68 will develop anything beyond mild flu-like symptoms," Jennifer Smith, a spokeswoman for the Michigan Department of Community Health, said in a statement to the Detroit News.

She added: "Residents should continue to lead their daily lives, practice good hygiene and vaccinate against illnesses that are vaccine-preventable, like the flu. Washing hands often with soap and water, covering coughs and sneezes with a tissue or shirt sleeve, and staying home from work or school when sick are all easy ways we can help stop the spread of illness."

Soon .....

I am just thankful to not have any kids at home anymore. lol, Never thought I would actually say that, but it is stressful on parents when these diseases come around. I am so glad that I no longer have to stress like a parent, who watches the clock, and takes temps and into the lukewarm baths when high fevers hit. whew, my body and heart couldn't take it anymore.

I am just thankful to not have any kids at home anymore. lol, Never thought I would actually say that, but it is stressful on parents when these diseases come around. I am so glad that I no longer have to stress like a parent, who watches the clock, and takes temps and into the lukewarm baths when high fevers hit. whew, my body and heart couldn't take it anymore.

Yeah, it's not fun. I have four kids. They're not in public school, so they don't get sick there.

But then they get it from the friends who come sick to the meetings...

We have seen in the news a few kids that have died from this here in Canada. One was just this past week. Most of this is out west right now. Not sure if there are any cases in Ontario. I am sure there are some. Stay safe and for heaven sakes if you have a cold a sniffle or a cough please stay home and get better before going back to the hall. 

We have out C.O. this week. Someone came sick coughing and 2 other sisters were sick with in a day. Missed the entire C.O. visit. 

PLEASE STAY HOME IF YOU ARE SICK! That is why we have the Phone system available. 

After all how would you feel if you gave a bug to an 80 yo sister and she wound up in the hospital and died from it? 

Edited by Greg Dent

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green