JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Jews........

I am watching a show called "The Good Wife". And there is an episode about a Jewish lawyer who passed away in his sleep. They talked about "Shiva". What is that? Also, I noticed that when they gathered at his home for the grieving family, they covered all the mirrors. Why?

Shiva is the jewish mourning period. After someone dies they sit shiva for a week. They don't work, they wear mourning clothes, women often cut their hair, etc. They cover the mirrors because mourners aren't supposed to be concerned with their physical appearance. No one should expect them to look good on the outside when they obviously feel horrible inside. They're only supposed to be focusing on working through their grief and on God.

They cover the mirrors because mourners aren't supposed to be concerned with their physical appearance. No one should expect them to look good on the outside when they obviously feel horrible inside. They're only supposed to be focusing on working through their grief and on God.

I am from a Jewish background. My family believes it has something to do with spirits. Maybe some rabbis reinterpret this belief, but most Jews have very pagan mystical beliefs.

The practice of covering the mirrors began centuries ago and was based on a belief that spirits were attracted to mirrors. Some people thought that the soul could be trapped in the reflection, or that the dead person's spirit lingered on earth for a time and might reach out from"the other side." The rabbis reinterpreted the folk custom, declaring that mirrors should be covered to discourage vanity and encourage inner reflection.

The Kaddish, is a prayer for the dead and it confirms their belief in spirits that live on. When someone in my family died, one had to say Kaddish or they believed that the soul of the dead person would come back and cause them harm because of being neglected. The same is the practice of 'knock on wood", if you don't, harm will come to you. Jews are very superstitious and have adopted many practices into their religion from their time in Babylon.

futurepromise That was very interesting, thanks for posting!

I had heard from a formally Jewish sister that Jews really don't have any "hope" for after they die? Is this true? She said they never talked about going to heaven or anyplace else after they die. I had thought they believe in going to heaven, do different Jewish "orders: believe different things?

futurepromise That was very interesting, thanks for posting!

I had heard from a formally Jewish sister that Jews really don't have any "hope" for after they die? Is this true?

My family never spoke to me about going anywhere at death. But what they tell me was that the dead observe what people that knew them are doing. That is why my Grandparents told me never to say anything bad about a dead person and one must end their sentence with, 'may they rest in peace'. I was told that if you 'crossed' them and made them angry, they would get back at you. Funny, until now I never questioned what you asked :S