JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Ida Stover Eisenhower

I have been reading thru the book , "Steeped in Religion"  about the Eisenhower family and how all the boys never did anything about the Truth.    How sad for a mother who did her best to remain faithful to Jehovah with all her boys (as adults) who were in prominent positions in the secular field .

In one paragraph in the book it mentioned that Jehovah's Witnesses were not college educated (something to that effect)

This book is an interesting read.   Of course, just like other books that mention the Watchtower Society it is biased, misinformed in some instances.  One has to remember it is written from the World's standpoint of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Edited by Dismal_Bliss

Moved to the "Books" forum

Brother Lloyd Barry's Life Story is in the w1960 9/15 page 552 and is just a very good example for this discussion:

"...My early life was spent in Christchurch, New Zealand. As a schoolboy I worked hard at my studies and won first place in the University Entrance Scholarship, a prize for which all of New Zealand’s colleges and high schools vie with one another. I was on the way to becoming an atomic scientist, but now materialistic, evolutionary thinking began to surround me, and I soon found this to be just as unreasoning and worthless as the clergy’s “hell-fire” teaching. The Bible began to exercise its full power in my life. Though I went on to take my master’s degree in science, I was devoting almost pioneer time to the ministry during most of my university days..."

Just one of many such examples available.

Another life story with a bearing on this discussion is:

A Soldier Who Became a Preacher

As told by Richard A. Boeckel

w1980 10/15 page 24 where sister Ida Eisenhower's letter to bro. Boeckel appears.

From the WTB&TS Library CD:

jv page 366

"[Pictures on page 366]

A Kingdom proclaimer was first sent to this country in 1924. Much help was later given by Gilead-trained missionaries, including Charles Eisenhower (shown here), who arrived with his wife in 1948."

jv page 460

"[Map/Pictures on page 460]

By late 1945, missionaries from Gilead School had already taken up service in 18 lands in this part of the world

Charles and Lorene Eisenhower

Cuba"

Life Story ~ Eisenhower, Charles: w58 269-271

"As told by Charles Eisenhower

IT WAS back in 1933, on a farm in Pennsylvania, U.S.A., that I first came in contact with Jehovah’s witnesses. My father borrowed the book Government from my Sunday-school teacher. He enjoyed the book so much that, upon returning it, he came home with another book called The Harp of God. Most of father’s extra time was spent with these publications....

...It was not until September, 1938, that I was immersed, and the following month I began to pursue my purpose in life as a pioneer..."

Dwight Eisenhower's, the 34rth President of the United States, family were in contact with the truth as for back as the late 1800's so it appears that there was no relation of their famiies at least not close.

More about President Dwight David Eisenhower can also be found in the w57 6/1 page 23.

"...This also explains why Mrs. Ida Eisenhower, in a letter dated August 20, 1944, to American soldier Richard Boeckel, who had gotten into difficulty with his superiors because of his Scriptural stand regarding war, wrote: “As the mother of General Eisenhower and as a witness of and for the Great Jehovah of Hosts (I have been such for the past 49 years) I am pleased to write you to urge you to faithfulness.” And that is also why, when her son Ike was about to graduate from the West Point Military Academy in 1915, she gave him an American Standard Version Bible, as clearly appears from a photograph of it appearing in The Illustrated London News, February 2, 1957.

However, in telling of President Eisenhower’s taking his oath of office and having his Bible turned to or opened at Psalm 33:12, the press did not quote that text the way it reads in that American Standard Version Bible: “Blessed is the nation whose God is Jehovah, the people whom he hath chosen for his own inheritance.” No, but the press quoted it as it reads in the King James Version: “Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD; and the people whom he hath chosen for his own inheritance.” In passing, let it be noted that the psalmist would be making no point if the name of Israel’s God were merely “Lord,” for every kind of false deity is known as “lord.”

Why this substitution of “LORD” for “Jehovah,” and by whom was it made? Is there a conspiracy against the name of Jehovah on the part of the American press similar to that practiced by the translators of the Revised Standard Version, whose about-face made fools of their learned predecessors who produced the American Standard Version? That conspiracy might be involved is apparent from what Jack Anderson, junior partner of Drew Pearson, wrote in Pearson’s “Washington Merry-Go-Round,” as quoted in the Detroit Free Press, December 19, 1956:

“President Eisenhower, whose mother once sold Bible tracts for the Jehovah’s Witnesses, is looking for a delicate way to clear the family name of this affiliation. He is sensitive about the fact that Jehovah’s Witnesses don’t believe in saluting the flag or serving under arms. . . . Inside story is that the President’s mother was influenced in her old age by a nurse who belonged to the sect. Being Bible-minded, Mrs. Eisenhower cheerfully agreed to help the Jehovah’s Witnesses peddle Bible tracts. . . . Now the Eisenhower brothers would like to find a graceful way to announce that their mother was not, at heart, a Jehovah’s Witness.”

“Not, at heart, a Jehovah’s Witness,” and only “in her old age.” How could that be true, when she wrote Boeckel in 1944 that she was “a witness of and for the Great Jehovah of Hosts (I have been such for the past 49 years)”?...

Edited by hayhauler