JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Advice about personality...

The material from Congregation Bible Study this week mentioned that Jesus didn't have to correct his followers when they thought his kingdom would take place on earth. Thus we learn, that we don't always have to correct others.

Others in the congregation want to relate to you. If you mess up, make a mistake, etc, it shows your normal like them, and not on a pedestal. Don't be afraid to be wrong, to make a mistake, etc. This will endear you to others. But being afraid of those things will distance you.

Hope this helps.

I totally understand what you're saying, and yes sometimes it's better to just be wrong (even when you're right) than to push the issue.

As for the Bible Study this week in paragraph 9 of chapter two, it actually shows how Jesus did correct his disciples. I think that's what you meant, right? :-)

I thought this was interesting - In paragraph 9 Chapter 2. It showed he did NOT correct their wrong thought about their first notion - as he knew it would be corrected soon. It was their second notion that he corrected. I remember this from a talk that Jesus was faithful and "discreet." Discreet in that, he knew when to correct and what. He did not always correct wrong ideas - instead he focused on what was important and had to be corrected. If time would soon correct a mis-understanding, often he let time correct it. Maybe his example in this might help - be kind and considerate as noted above and only correct what must be corrected. If it is minor or will soon be corrected - say be an upcoming meeting part, mag article or Bible reading - leave it to that to correct.

It is funny that you put this out there - I too struggle at working on the same thing. I also struggle with drawing really close to others and having close personal friends. My best is my wife and mom. but outside of that - there aren't many. They are the ones that are willing to pull aside and tell us when we aren't as discreet as we should be. The more of those kinds of Friends we can get/ stand to have - the better we can be helped with the things that we don't/ can't see. Well, I'll keep working on it and getting more of those kinds of friends.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Hi. Interesting conversation. When my eldest son was at school he used to come home upset at having few friends. The reason being that he is/was a very bright and knowledgeable child but this used to alienate others who felt intimidated by it. So I suggested to him that he speak less and listen more. It worked! So too with us, we may think we know much and feel compelled to tell others where they are going wrong or feel inclined to impart information at every opportunity. But surely Bible knowledge is nothing without the wisdom in knowing when and how to speak and when to keep silent. Knowing the Bible is not enough, after all, even Satan knows the Bible!! The older I get the more I realize how little I really know. When I was younger I felt that as an avid Bible student I knew so much. In fact the more I read and think about what i read of the Bible the more I am amazed at what a truly precious book it is. I realize more and more that the Bible's value is when applied to oneself. It's a bit like a man with a hammer..everything to him seems to be a nail!!!! He feels he just has to bang away regardless of what is really a nail! We find it easy to find fault in others but really we should look at ourselves. We should all strive to encourage each other and not use our supposed knowledge to expose others failings etc. Jesus never humilated anyone. Love builds up.Dialogue is so much better than monologue.Discuss not lecture.

Thankyou Fran, there is wisdom in your words. I know we have been counseled in recent years to speak less, and to listen more. I love also your, "love builds up" comment....in fact love should be the over-riding quality we as Jehovah's Witnesses should strive to emulate.....we are all imperfect, all make mistakes, but love "covers a multitude of sins." Let's remember whatever we do, we show love for the other person, whether we are the one that feels the need to correct, or we are the one being corrected. :readbible:

Hi Brother. Anyone concerned enough to ask for advice is humble enough for most to accept. It is the weak ones we do not want to stumble-with their weakness's. I am sure it is never your intention to hurt one of us, so as you have surmised it is simply learned behaviour--which can be modified, with practice. In question six this week of our Oral review-guess what? There is some of your answer. w94 10/1 p 32 #1-5 THE POWER OF A KIND WORD.

So applicable due to our current Bible reading-is it not.

By the way I recollect having to come to the same conclusion some eyes ago about myself. The article that caught my eye was one about 'making our brother or sister cry when we gave council. New to the truth I, like Peter of old, blundered in, with much valuable wordily acquired, philosophical, metaphysical wisdom. STUPID STUPID MAN! (I was) I still have to work on losing that old person as it is so logical and comes o mind so very fast-whereas researching 'the right answer' that does not hurt-yet has just the right amount of salt to make it palatable-rather than sickening, gets my advice more readily accepted than the 'short cut' of saying it as it is. We have not the wisdom of Jesus to know who and when and how to call a hypocrite a hypocrite--so let us always speak consolingly to the depressed soul. You obviously have a good heart.

"Fellowship Bible Church" - well, they are right on about people needing help. To bad they don't preach about the Kingdom of God being the solution.

Note: I loved the video - great reminder!

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....