JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The Annual Silliness Has Begun - Santa Tracking

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3424 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Well I see from one of the lead news events on MSN that the annual tracking of Santa has begun.

They show a picture of him replete with sleigh and reindeer ( Rudoph included ) flying up over the

mountains. ( I didn't pause long enough to see were he was supposed to be at this point. How many

others of you have this annual silliness proclaimed in all seriousness by the local media. All for the

purpose of keeping the myth of Santa alive and retaining the "magic " of Christmas.

Funny how they never go to this extreme with regard to Jesus, whose birth this holiday is supposed

to be celebrating. But of course we must keep the kids believing in Santa. And I always thought it

was Jesus they needed to believe in. Foolish me.

GStorrs46

They are now saying here will be here in Cincinnati, Ohio around 12:30 a.m; I can hardly wait ! ? ? They now say he was delayed

by bad weather over around France. Isn't modern technology amazing. Do you think they could also track for us the movement

of Jehovah's Heavenly Chariot ? Now that would be something ! !

GStorrs46

I am so tired of hearing about all this alleged "news-worthy" silliness and the repeating xmas movies, I'm not even watching regular tv these days.

My solution is to run back to back musical videos on my tv from my own private collection.

As I e-mailed to a brother who is a friend of mine. Thank goodness we are now past the annual obsession with Christmas,

Christmas ads and presents, Santa, and everything related to it. Now people are concentrating on all of the after Christmas

sales, and returning the gifts they didn't want ( how's that for gratitude ? ). Or discussions on taking those gifts, and saving

them to give to people next year. Now there is the real spirit of giving. At least the trial this is to so many of the friends each

year is now over.

As a sideline, how have some of you who have non witness relatives learned to cope with it in your families ? I think this

could be an interesting discussion and perhaps helpful to some, particularly those new in the truth. How about friends ?

GStorrs46

Cool idea!

None of my family are in the truth, so I stay away ..not even a phone call to them if I don't have to.

I remember a while back, I was really new in the truth. I didn't want to celebrate xmas with mom and adult siblings, so I waited to visit long after I felt their silly festivities were over.

I arrived around 10pm and everyone was still there. I played it cool, didnt eat any of the xmas foods....just visited for about 30 mins and left.

Thought I was safe until the following years xmas. To my surprise, my mom and later on my brother both asked if I would be spending xmas with the family. When I said no they said well you did last year!!! aaauugghh!

So unless its absolutely necessary...I don't contact them till after xmas is over.

It is so difficult to hit a balance. Our family completely broke off connection on both sides of both my Mom's and Dad's

family. At the time we felt we were really showing respect for Jehovah. Many years later, my cousin, who has shone a

fair interest in the truth. ( This as the result of a sister who witnessed to her at work. ). She confessed how painful it

was to the whole family to lose our families company and association. I apologized to her and told her we did not mean

to cause them pain, but were just trying to stand up for what we believed was right. I admitted though, that we may have

been a bit extreme in the way we did it. Thus I have come to feel there can be no hard and fast rules with the exception

of making it clear we will not participate in the holiday. Beyond that, each family much decide what is within the realm of

their personal conscience. But that is also why I thought a discussion of this question might be profitable. How have some

of you worked to find this balance which our family failed for many years to maintain ? ( Note: we did see them during other

parts of the year. )

GStorrs46

More silliness. I clipped a cartoon from last years (2013) Family Circus in the news paper. Dolly is sitting on her father's lap. He is reading to her from a book that deals with  Christmas. She asks him, "Did Santa Claus and Jesus go to school together?" Of course, the children are confused. So are the adults!