JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3259 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

The 3 blood tranfusion alternatives videos are now on jw.org

http://www.jw.org/en/publications/videos/no-blood-medicine-meets-challenge/

Perfect!! I was just having a conversation with some of my Coworkers regarding my upcoming hip replacement and blood transfusions was a part of the topic. Based on there facial expressions I'm not sure I fully explained our stance or base of knowledge. This will greatly help...........if they watch it.

It's an interesting fact that hip replacement operations were pioneered in Wrightington Hospital in the North West of England. It is actually the hospital of choice for many brothers and sisters here in the UK for doing joint replacements of many different types without the use of blood transfusions. There have been 5 hip replacements among our congregation and one shoulder joint replacement done at this hospital:

Here is a quote about it off Wikipaedia under the title 'Orthopedic Surgery': "The modern total hip replacement was pioneered by Sir John Charnley, expert intribology at Wrightington Hospital, England in the 1960s.[6] He found that joint surfaces could be replaced by implants cemented to the bone. His design consisted of a stainless steel one-piece femoral stem and head and a polyethylene, acetabular component, both of which were fixed to the bone using PMMA (acrylic) bone cement. For over two decades, the Charnley Low Friction Arthroplasty, and derivative designs were the most used systems in the world. It formed the basis for all modern hip implants."

This hospital is a Centre of Excellence for such operations: https://www.wwl.nhs.uk/hospitals/wrightington/

Here are some of their comments about doing blood transfusion free surgery: http://www.wwl.nhs.uk/News/2012/April/league_of_friends_donate_for_cell_salvage_Machine.aspx

Edited by retroHelen