JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Photo fingers

If I am taking a group (or even single) photo, I frequently ask people to refrain from raising fingers in a variety of hand gestures. I get responses such as, "It's only bunny ears; it's not horns," or some such. Having worked with teenagers for decades, I am painfully aware of a number of hostile, vulgar,or derogatory meanings attached to raised finger gestures. There are also cultural and geographic "signs" that are flashed and that provoke strong reactions. Here are a few interpretations for a common hand configuration that people raise when being photographed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V_sign Is it possible that there are some who do not realize how inflammatory such gestures are to age groups, peoples, and cultures? 

Help me understand:Why is it that people insist on making finger signs when being photographed? Is it just to call attention to oneself,without regard to the fact that it is known to be offensive to many? I ask at the risk of being lapidated.

This is from my perspective as a photographer

I have taken wedding and occasion photos for years..

Depending on the alcohol consumption ........

for the most part it is to make the other person look foolish ... A childish put down .. Weddings are all about transition with huge traditions .. And a few who would like to put all this attention given someone else down... Childish jealousy... Power structure changes bring out the idiots .... Even if it just for a day..

For some weddings... I am just happy there aren't fist fights while I'am taking a shot ... Some people will not stand near another person or even get in the same picture as another person ... I just tell them I am hired by the bride and groom to shoot and shoot I will.. then I make a joke saying I can photoshop them in or out .. Or even around ..if they pay me .. That usually shuts them up.. But some are serious ... Weddings are an interesting window on family politics and dysfunctional relationships...

Others are a pure joy and a celebration of beautiful occasion ....

That's life....

Edited by TheDoorGuy

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

I've found it sometimes helps to let them get the craziness out of their system then ask " okay let's just do a few straight ones to look back on as a happy group for the family " Many people don't like getting photographed hence the nervousness shows in childish behavior.

Is. 41:10 " I will fortify you. I will really help you. I will really keep fast hold of you with my right hand of righteousness. "

I feel that it doesn't matter whether there is a meaning or not, whether it's funny or not...

It's spoiling the photo!

Such things as pulling a face, stepping out of line, hiding behind someone else, it's going to destroy the purpose of the photograph.

They don't have a right do do that.