JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Backward Messages

Not to mention it's so much harder to play music backward today.  Well, maybe not "harder" but certainly more complicated than just turning the turntable the wrong way.

That is true. It would be funny that I made a song and when play backwards, it would say: "Eat Chocolate, Eat Chocolate, Eat Chocolate". I would think that would be a positive message for the teens today in the 21st century. :D

Good points Carlos. Today backward messages are pointless. Groups can say anything forward without doing anything in secret. We thank music was somewhat trash in the 60's - 80's. Now it is worse than trash. Music is something that we can flush it down in the toilet.

Hopefully there's still some nice music worth listening to. But you are right, there's no need to hide messages anymore, when many of the lyrics you hear everywhere are outright scandalous and nobody blushes for them.

Let's demonstrate scientifically that there is no hidden message in "Another one bites the dust":

We first convert the sentence to its phonetic values (see an explanation here of the weird symbols):

"Another one bites the dust" = /ənʌðə wʌn baɪts ðə dʌst/ 

Now let's reverse that: /tsʌd əð stɪab nʌw əðʌnə/

That would sound like "Tsudad stiab nowathuna". You can listen to the original sentence and its reversed version here.

When we hear sounds that don't make sense, our mind tries to rearrange them in meaningful patterns. But it really takes a biased mind obsessed with pot to hear "It's fun to smoke marihuana" in "Tsudad stiad nowathuna".

Hopefully there's still some nice music worth listening to. But you are right, there's no need to hide messages anymore, when many of the lyrics you hear everywhere are outright scandalous and nobody blushes for them.

I understand my brother. I use to keep up with music until mid 80's, then I stop. It got real messy and I would believe many in my age would agree with me. There is no Soul, Rock & Roll, etc any more. Bascially it is all mishmash known days.

• 3 weeks later...

I have listened to Stairway to Heaven backwards, and importantly, did not read what the lyrics backwards supposedly are, so that I could go from my own hearing, not from anyone else's suggestions. I have to say that it just sounded like gibberish to me. Like it's been said, it can be hard to hear exactly what's being said even forwards in many songs, so our minds tend to "fill in the gaps" as it were and we think we hear something, even forwards, that isn't even there. 

You can test this, think of a song where you think the lyrics sound weird, then look up the real lyrics and listen to the song again, and all you can hear is the true lyrics. 

I think that some brothers back in the 70s got carried away with an Awake article that reported on the issue and advised caution without endorsing the view that backwards messages were true or not. Of course it was in the media in the 70s especially in America with the Evangelicals so brothers thought it was true and were talking about it at conventions etc. 

The thing is that it's a shame that people often now think that all so-called heavy metal is Satanic. Don't be stumbled anyone, but it isn't. I listen to some music that would probably be called heavy metal by some, that has nothing to do with Satan or immorality or anything. Like all music, it's about being selective. 

I've heard people say that you shouldn't listen to rock music or rap music (which isn't music to me  :raspberry: ) or such-and-such a genre because it's Satanic or whatever. You just can't make generalisations like that, otherwise we could say you shouldn't listen to classical because some of it is false religious or patriotic.