JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Looking for healthy slow cooker recipes

Is there such a thing?  I am starting a new job, and it will require me to be away more than I like.  I need to put something on before I go, so that my Mom will have something nutritious to eat.  So many slow cooker recipes seem loaded with fat and calories.  :(

Live long and prosper. 🖖🏻

Anxious to hear about your job!  Is it the one your friend referred you to?

Yes.  I have some great ones for you.

The first is just to take some boneless chicken and pour in one can of drained and rinsed cannelloni beans then add 1 jar of green salsa (salsa verde) with about 1 tsp of ground cumin.  Is she able to take this from the fridge and place in the crock pot about 5 hrs before she needs to eat?  It is a fast cooking meal even for a crock pot.  But you just take forks and shred the chicken and it makes wonderful chicken tacos.  Put on soft corn tortillas, or ones that have been heated, and add a dollop of sour cream and little grated cheese if you like.  So easy, economical and a great tasting dish!  Really no bad calories except for the corn tortillas and sour cream.  You can leave those off and serve it over rice also. 

I'll post some more for you later.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Chicken Tortilla Soup

• 2-3 chicken breasts or mixture of thighs and breasts
  • 2 cans of black beans--do not drain
  • 2 (15 ounce) cans tomatoes
  • 1 cup of your favorite salsa
  • 1 T chicken bullion in a jar
  • Enough water to make it as thick or thin as you like, also add 1 tsp of ground cumin and 1 tsp chili powder

Cook on low then crunch up tortilla chips and sliced avocado on top for garnish and for the good fat

I always add cream in the bowl for the grand kids

Edited by LeslieDean

LeslieDean

This is a WW recipe from the Slender Kitchen

nday Slow Cooker: Honey Garlic Chicken
Servings: 8 servings
Serving Size: about 2/3 cup
Nutritional Info: 177 calories, 3g of fat, 16.6g of carbohydrates, .2g of fiber, 24.6g of protein
Weight Watchers® PointsPlus®: 5 *

Ingredients

• 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into chunks
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 3/4 tsp. dried basil
  • 1/3 cup soy sauce
  • 1/3 cup ketchup
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • Pinch red pepper flakes

Instructions

1. Whisk together the garlic, basil, soy sauce, ketchup, and honey.
  2. Add the chicken to the crockpot.
  3. Pour the sauce over and mix everything together.
  4. Cook on low for 4 hours. If at any point the chicken seems to be drying out (some chicken contains more liquid than others), then add a but of chicken broth.
  5. For crispy outside, spread onto a baking sheet and broil for 3-5 minutes

LeslieDean

Jules i was excited upon seeing your post

and was eager to offer up a few crock pot favorites

but after seeing Leslie's  delicious recipes i think i'll

just get a pen and take notes...

:eat:

At that time those who fear Jehovah spoke with one another, each one with his companion,

and Jehovah kept paying attention and listening..." ~ Malachi 3:16

The first is just to take some boneless chicken and pour in one can of drained and rinsed cannelloni beans then add 1 jar of green salsa (salsa verde) with about 1 tsp of ground cumin.  Is she able to take this from the fridge and place in the crock pot about 5 hrs before she needs to eat?  It is a fast cooking meal even for a crock pot.  But you just take forks and shred the chicken and it makes wonderful chicken tacos.  Put on soft corn tortillas, or ones that have been heated, and add a dollop of sour cream and little grated cheese if you like.  So easy, economical and a great tasting dish!  Really no bad calories except for the corn tortillas and sour cream.  You can leave those off and serve it over rice also. 

I could actually use those bags they make to line the crock pot for this one.  :)  That way, she could take it out of the fridge around noon and start it. It would be ready in time for her dinner.  :)

Live long and prosper. 🖖🏻

Jules i was excited upon seeing your post

and was eager to offer up a few crock pot favorites

but after seeing Leslie's  delicious recipes i think i'll

just get a pen and take notes...

:eat:

I want to have your recipes.  We all learn from each other!  My favorite crock pot site is 365 days of crockpotting

LeslieDean

I do chili often through the winter.

1 lb ground beef.  You can use lean beef, chicken, or go meatless (shudder).  Pre-cooked.

2 cans diced tomatoes.  I get the cans that say chili on them.

1 can chili beans 

1 jar bean and corn salsa

1 can nacho cheese

2 cans tomato sauce

1 cup pre-cooked elbow pasta (optional)

1 pkg chili seasoning mix

1 tbs chili powder

1 tbs black pepper

1 tbs garlic

Pre cook ground beef and elbow pasta.  Dump all the ingredients into slow cooker.  Mix thoroughly.  Cook 8 hours on low.  You may need to add water now and then, depending on how soupy or how thick you want your chili as it tends to lose moisture.

I'm a split pea soup person. That and bean with bacon- just like Campbells only much better!

Just share it here please!

I love the split pea and butternut squash and gingered carrots and roasted tomato and all the varities of soup!  One of my favorite things to make indeed!

I particularly like the split pea with a dollop of sour cream, grated cheese, and bacon bits on top.  Let's not forget French Onion soup with cheese croutons.

LeslieDean

I'm about to put this on for tonight's dinner - Slowed Cooked Beef Casserole

500g diced beef

1 large potato

1 large carrot

Salt & pepper

1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

1 teaspoon dried basil

1/8 teaspoon cayenne

1 clove crushed garlic

1 420g can tomato soup (condensed)

250 ml beef stock

1 tablespoon cornflour combined with 100ml water

Place all ingredients into slow cooker except cornflour/water mix

Cover and cook on high 3 hours stirring a couple of times (I guess you could do 6 hours on low)

Pour in cornflour and water and stir to combine

Cover and cook a further 1/2 hour

Contains no onion so is great for fussy kids