JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Be honest: Who enjoys fireworks?

I agree that I don't think we are talking about anyone actually going to a 4th of July Celebration.

You are correct.

The local major city about 10 miles away puts on a ridiculously huge Independence Day celebration all day long, and the biggest fireworks display around after dark. You will never find me at that event, however.

I took my dog outside last night and saw some fireworks, I don't think that qualifies me as celebrating this country's birthday. As to Christmas time, I don't drive around looking at the lights, but we do need to get in our cars and do errands, so yes we see the lights, but again, I don't think that constitutes celebrating Christmas.

(tu)

Think there has been alot of misunderstanding on this thread.

Indeed there has.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

No. I have no problem with fireworks, I wish we could do them any time we wanted but in our area it is only legal on the forth of July as a political celebration. However we do go to Disneyland which always has fireworks that we enjoy. There is no question that patriotism is a slow killing diseases that without being very careful we can take part. The convention brought out how we shouldn't even speak of anything political because it is a easy trap. In your country maybe fireworks have nothing to do with a celebration of governments, but in the U.S this is a very political holiday celebrated by going outside barbecuing and watching fireworks.

No. I have no problem with fireworks, I wish we could do them any time we wanted but in our area it is only legal on the forth of July as a political celebration. However we do go to Disneyland which always has fireworks that we enjoy. There is no question that patriotism is a slow killing diseases that without being very careful we can take part. The convention brought out how we shouldn't even speak of anything political because it is a easy trap. In your country maybe fireworks have nothing to do with a celebration of governments, but in the U.S this is a very political holiday celebrated by going outside barbecuing and watching fireworks.

You are the one who "spoke" about them being political, we were just talking about the fireworks themselves. You took the opportunity to "preach to the choir"

When Bob originally posted this topic he asked "who enjoys watching fireworks", he didn't mention anything about going to a 4th of July celebration and joining the crowd watching the fireworks show. So that is the question most of us answered. From where we live, there are shows all around us where you can see the fireworks just fine from our own yard. We are not "participating" in anything. We are watching the fireworks themselves which are very beautiful.

Yes, indeed.

I will not close my eyes so I can't see them or purposely go into the house and shut the blinds. I think this would be a hypocritical, self-righteous and "Holier then thou" attitude and I doubt Jehovah would be impressed with it!

If someone wanted to do this, that is fine. To think that Jehovah would require this, makes him unreasonable. To tell the rest of us that this is what we all should be doing, is imposing your conscience on others, and is offensive.

Thanks, Bob, for being the voice of reason on this thread and expressing the thoughts many of us have. I think that those of us who've been in the Truth a long time have the ability to distinguish the difference between looking at pretty colors (be they fireworks or Xmas lights) and appreciate them just for what they are and not equate this with actively participating in national (or pagan) holidays.

I intend to live forever...so far so good. :D

One could interpret this as you now saying that it would be wrong to have a barbeque on the fourth of July....SERIOUSLY!?!?!?!? Puleez...let's be reasonable here. I could suggest that perhaps you shouldn't go to Disneyland--after all, it IS the 'Magic Kingdom' and Christians shouldn't have anything to do with magic....But I would never do that...we need to be balanced in our viewpoint of these things, be they fireworks or lights or...???....

I intend to live forever...so far so good. :D

One could interpret this as you now saying that it would be wrong to have a barbeque on the fourth of July....SERIOUSLY!?!?!?!? Puleez...let's be reasonable here. I could suggest that perhaps you shouldn't go to Disneyland--after all, it IS the 'Magic Kingdom' and Christians shouldn't have anything to do with magic....But I would never do that...we need to be balanced in our viewpoint of these things, be they fireworks or lights or...???....

Good point about Disney world. Many brothers and sisters think Disney movies are bad due to the witches, fairies, etc in many of them. So then in some opinions, going to Disney World is probably bad too.

My point it not to criticize going to Disney World, but we live in this world and there are many things that really are conscious matters and we all need to be respectful of others opinions on this and not judge each other.

The world is going down fast and Satan loves to cause divisions, so we need to really cultivate respect for each other, especially this close to the end. Real soon, we are going to need and depend upon our brothers and sisters more then we realize, and if we are judgmental now, we are going to be in serious trouble during the Great Tribulation.

Well I like the colors of the fireworks...but in America....due to the association I generally try to avoid fireworks....period...( plus the fact that when I see the fireworks I always think of the unpleasantness of my ancestorsmust have had when they saw the fireworks ...being enslaved and all) :(

I may be tired and in pain :wheelchair: but I'll never   :surrender: to it just send some encouraging words or hugs  :kisscheek:  :encourage:  and I'll return the same   :kisscheek:  :encourage:

Well I like the colors of the fireworks...but in America....due to the association I generally try to avoid fireworks....period...( plus the fact that when I see the fireworks I always think of the unpleasantness of my ancestors must have had when they saw the fireworks ...being enslaved and all) :(

I'm sorry, but this part went over my head. I don't understand the correlation?

Well I like the colors of the fireworks...but in America....due to the association I generally try to avoid fireworks....period...( plus the fact that when I see the fireworks I always think of the unpleasantness of my ancestors must have had when they saw the fireworks ...being enslaved and all) :(

I'm sorry, but this part went over my head. I don't understand the correlation?

Well when this country was founded ( In America that is ) my ancestors were slaves therefore whenever I see the fireworks others were celebrating their freedom from England.... my people were going through horrible conditions......so that takes out the so called joy @ seeing fireworks for me at least....:crying:

this is not to say that others can't enjoy it but for me I just can't...until the new world @ least

I may be tired and in pain :wheelchair: but I'll never   :surrender: to it just send some encouraging words or hugs  :kisscheek:  :encourage:  and I'll return the same   :kisscheek:  :encourage:

I did this around New Year's about watching the ball drop and thought I would ask something similar since Monday is Independence Day in the United States, usually marked by massive displays of fireworks.

Locally, there are some local town festivals that happen to be around this time of year. One town has a "___ Fest" named after itself, another has what it called the annual "Fireman's Festival" and the like. Both of which, as well as many more, put on a firework display after sundown.

Personally, I think fireworks are cool, and yes, I will make the effort to see some. Often times, this can mean not going anywhere, as many people in many neighborhoods really splurge on them around this time of year, and they will be going off all night long, terrorizing the dog, and making it difficult to go to sleep.

@ Bob

also the fact that you posted this @ this time period kind of ( I think) makes people think of the Independance day celebrations.....so that's probably why some people are talking about that.....:mellow:

With this comment, I think you and I and all of us are very much in agreement:

1) We all like fireworks.

2) None of us would attend an Independence Day celebration.

In my area here is Ohio, the legality of setting off fireworks is up to the local city governments. The town I grew up in made it illegal. The town my brother lives in allows it and people will be setting them off all night long.

While I won't join in with them by purchasing my own and setting them off around the same time, I will sit outside and watch them (I might even enjoy a totally non-Independence Day related BBQ that day as well).

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!