JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

THings are so bad out there I had to take a course on workplace violence.

Called how to identify and deal with work place violence. Its a certificated program. I knew it was bad but wow. There are 2 more How to deal with violent customers and how to deal with Robbery.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green

I also have to attend a customer aggression course, as I work for a govt department, and we have as our customers those who are unemployed, in crisis, medically and socially disadvantaged.  These are people who are at their wits end, and who take drugs to self-medicate, or take out their frustrations on us employees.

Today, I was serving a customer who had 6 children, and she needed her business completed asap as she had to be somewhere in half an hour.  So why come to the office serving baby food to the youngest child still obviously breastfed, then another child one year older, and another one just one year older than that one, all in tow?

I told her that she might like to consider coming in to do her business when she had more time and could concentrate, but then my supervisor came to help me as she started to go red in the face and actually rudely told the supervisor to "buzz off!  Lucy is handling this.  I don't want you here".  Really??!!

We have duress alarms under our desks, and the police come over when they go off.

Lovely job!

No doubt. I never thought I would have to take a workplace violence and how to handle it. Pretty wild. I look forward to the day when we can go about our day with no one to threaten us or force us to do what we dont want to do. Except Jehovah. He won't force us he will just ask nicely and we will. 

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green

I am also scheduled to take a workshop on how to handle a violent patient.  We care for many indigent, homeless and drug abusers whom cannot afford to take their medications correctly.  Or they mix them with street drugs.  We have patients on a daily basis, last week 8 on one floor, who required 1_1 setters..  This takes up so much staff not to mention resources where nurses must sit instead of giving medications, starting IV's etc.  The patient is hard to control plus they get physically strong,  many times I swear that you can tell they are under the influence of demons.  It is a very frightening place to work at times.  I think it is so enlightening to see how Satan and his demons start out small then invade each territory they branch off in to.  Remember the first school massacre?  Now it is common place.  The first movie theater rampage?  Now there has been several. The first driveby shooting?  Freeway chase?  Never an isolated event.  Start small then spread. To me it seems like they hold meeting to try and start a new turmoil then add to it.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

We just had to take a course this month about "How to Handle a Live Shooter Situation". I work at a utility company in an office, but times being what they are, I suppose "live shooters" in a workplace is far from out of the question.

Then, earlier this week, literally about a week after I took the course, there was a live shooter situation in a business near where a friend works only a few miles from where I work.

"Critical times hard to deal with" indeed.