JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

11 hours ago, Precision said:

Nice Pix Cheryl, very healthy looking sprouts !  Thanks for sharing.  >:D<

I tried to grow mung beans a couple of times to micro-green height in 1 " soil  using trays.  Either we missed a rinsing or it was just too hot in the kitchen.

Black sunflower seeds, broccoli, radish, hard red winter wheat, Dun green peas  and  5 part salad seed mix available from Wheatgrasskits.com in Utah do very well. Handy Pantry is the same company, Also Jaffe Bros. in Valley Center California are another excellent source of high quality organic seed.

Where do you find raw organic almond seed ? Most almond seed have been radiated , pasteurized and Monsanto genetically modified.     

I use mason jars, keep it simple.  And maybe I'm not explaining myself very well, I use the actual bean not a seed. And the lentil too. I get them from the Co op so they're not GMO. And sprouting is not done in soil, I hope I'm not misunderstanding what you said. I put the lentil or mung bean in a jar, cover with water for 24 hours, drain well and leave the wet lentil/bean laying on its side in a 1/2 gallon mason jar. Rinse/drain every day. Ta da sprouts. (oh if it's damp outside, like it is here now, I'll rinse them every other day but turn the jar so the moisture can be on top and the sprout not sitting in it.)

I buy organic raw almonds from the Coop too. I'm a bit of a tight wad so I don't want to pay a lot, I buy local when I can get it at a good price. There's a phobia about raw nuts and ordering them online is risky. So I stick with my local guys. 

This sounds like a lot of fuss and work, but if I'm doing it then its a simple thing, I do NOT like complication and fussiness. 

Ok, now....Curry. It's happening tomorrow after meeting and service. I am sooo excited. Fish is thawed, curry is on the counter......so excited.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Are you feeding the speaker tomorrow ?  Wished we were there too.  Sounds like quite a treat. 

I use 1/2 gallon Ball and  Mason large mouth jars with plastic perforated sprouting lids.  The seeds or beans are sprouted for a few days, rinsed  and drained twice a day.

Some sprouts like wheat grass, sunflower and broccoli  are later transferred  from jars to growing trays with soil.  It sounds a bit more complicated but when you consider the cost of a 1 or 2 oz. shot of wheat grass at Jamba Juice or a tray of Broccoli sprouts at the Farmers market, it makes sense. And it's a great way to supplement fresh green juice. Someday I would like to try sprouting almonds and make some fresh squeezed almond milk with cinnamon.

Enjoy the happening Curry tomorrow...don't eat too much.     :D

My favourite curry is a Chicken curry - with a tomato base.

I cook down 3-4 large tomatoes (I use a tablespoon of tomato paste if I'm using fresh tomotoes) or  1 can of diced tomatoes.

I add to that one large onion diced, 1 tsp turmeric, 1 tsp coriander powder, 1-2 tsps of crushed garlic.  1-2 medium chilies chopped or a tsp or two of crushed chilies. (Red).  2 tsp salt, 1 tsp of palm sugar.

I cook until the chili oil starts to surface - then I had chopped up chicken thighs  - and let them cook until cooked through. If it's just Tom and I - I leave the chicken at that, but if I am having company - I'll double the above ingredients and towards the end of the cooking add diced chicken breasts - but they don't need as much cooking as the thighs - and the thighs I think are tastier in this dish.

I then add 1 tsp of garam masala  and chopped parsley and another chopped onion. Cook those down until the onion and chicken breast is cooked. Then I add 1/2 Cup of plain yoghurt - or 1/2 Cup of Coconut cream. Again if you have doubled the above ingredients then add 1 Cup of the yoghurt of Coconut cream.

I serve with fijian Roti ... (either bought or made by a sister) and coconut rice - That is rice cooked in toasted coconut.

The other curry I do is pumpkin based, where you cook up pumpkin  and substitute for the tomatoes - put it through the sieve - and instead of using meat, I use potatoes and kumera (Sweet potatoes) and that is a nice addition to the table.

Fijian Curry - that a sister does here is a simple one.

She just puts chopped up chicken and onion into the saucepan, with freshly ground ginger, garlic and chilies.  She adds turmeric, salt  and lets it cook - doesn't add any liquid, the fat in the chicken seeps out and is the cooking medium. Then after the chicken is cooked, she adds coconut cream and her famous roti - it's really yum. 

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

Mandi, that was incredible. I loved all of it and am printing it out. 

I was lazy yesterday and MH was home so decided to have a quiet day and didn't make the soup, but it's on the stove right now. It has to cook down some.  After sniffing it- I'm not prone to tasting until it's almost done- I can see why it's combined with shrimp, it smells like it should be. I think it may even be good with my smoked salmon, I'll have to wait till after I eat it to be sure. Or some big sea scallops. Or some roasted chicken. Oh man I'm excited to try this. 

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

A lot of it is down to taste  - I use palm sugar because the pancreas isn't affected by palm sugar.  If using seafood I would tone down the garlic and use more coconut cream. 

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

Well, I made a colossal mistake. I TASTED IT! I am blown away. Had to have a small bowl, holds a little more than a cup. I'm so full. And my mouth is very happily burning, just a little. So much for waiting for Lew!

I took out a chicken so I do the recipe you posted Mandi. Will use legs and thighs, I agree they're the best in recipes like this. The breast is my least favorite. But I have a bit of buttermilk left over from making double chocolate with orange muffins (oh yes I did!) so I'll marinate them in that to increase to moisture.  After this soup I'm doing  LOT more curry.

curry.jpg

Edited by bagwell1987