Jump to content
JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Recommended Posts

I have never cooked with curry but lived in an apartment building with many people from India who have come to my area to work in the Orthopedic business.  Almost everyday the smell of curry would infultrate the hallways of my apartment an I wished I could taste what they were cooking!  it smelled so GOOD!!!  My husband won't try anything new or different so I have never had the chance to try a curry dish but would LOVE to!

 

Please tell me how your soup turns out Cheryl, because if you like it, I would LOVE the recipe to try!  I'm still savoring every single jar and frozen pack of fish you've sent me!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

                                                                Thai-vegetable-shrimp-soup                                                   

 

This is a more traditional Thai shrimp curry dish similar to what we enjoy at a local Thai restaurant, made with coconut milk, bok choy, lime and sprouts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is it Thai curry you like or Indian?

 

This recipe for lamb curry from 'Jamie Oliver The return of the naked chef' is delicious. I know it looks like loads of ingredients but it's really simple.  https://toastedspecial.wordpress.com/2011/06/17/jamie-oliver-peters-lamb-curry-recipe/

i left out cardomen as I don't like it.

 

if I do Thai curry, I generally buy a jar of Thai paste and then add coconut milk. It's generally cheaper that way! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/9/2016 at 8:40 PM, shali said:

I have never cooked with curry but lived in an apartment building with many people from India who have come to my area to work in the Orthopedic business.  Almost everyday the smell of curry would infultrate the hallways of my apartment an I wished I could taste what they were cooking!  it smelled so GOOD!!!  My husband won't try anything new or different so I have never had the chance to try a curry dish but would LOVE to!

 

Please tell me how your soup turns out Cheryl, because if you like it, I would LOVE the recipe to try!  I'm still savoring every single jar and frozen pack of fish you've sent me!  

Ok, I'll let you know, I think it's on the list for Friday. I do know there's different curry's and the recipe above is asking for red curry paste. Click on the "Thai Curry Soup" PDF file above the pic.  I have a yellow curry in the cupboard, need to figure out the differences.

OH, it's clamming again, I can get some canned clams your way. I guess the clams were almost jumping out of the sand and into the bucket tonight. The sis I ride to meeting told me, her hubby went clamming.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Omo_Yeme said:

I absolutely love curry (Asian, Indian, and Caribbean especially.) On several occasions, I made an Indian curry dish made from cauliflower, potatoes, and peas with a side of naan bread....delicious and very filling. :)

 

 

 

Recipe, Sandra, recipe. I'd love that. Actually I'm an Asian foodie! I have mung beans sprouting right now, ready for the soups by this weekend, and cabbage, anything with veg of the cabbage family. 

The recipe I have call for shrimp but I have fresh halibut in the freezer so I think I'll use that instead. Have to find out if there's a 'season' for shrimp. Want to buy local.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Precision said:

                                                                Thai-vegetable-shrimp-soup                                                   

 

This is a more traditional Thai shrimp curry dish similar to what we enjoy at a local Thai restaurant, made with coconut milk, bok choy, lime and sprouts.

Michael.....where's the recipe for that delightful lusciousness? I..am..all..over..this!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Peanuts said:

I'm going to try this curry next week, lots of people on Jamies's Instagram rave about it. I haven't got any curry powder (I don't like the tast of it) so will make up my own

 

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chicken-recipes/pukka-yellow-curry/

Because I cook from raw ingredients my spice cupboard is extensive.  I looked at this one and will be doing it very soon. Got whole chicken from the farmer so I have to thaw that first, and these birds are like mini turkeys they're so big!! So probably next week for this one. I've saved it to my Curry file! Any other recipes would be welcome, especially if you've tried them first.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, dilip kumar said:

My wife cooks many delicious dishes. And she uses only red chilli, pinch of turmeric, (and coriander powder at times). So you don't know need lot of spices. Only the method.

Sent from my C6802 using Tapatalk

Please ask Gayu to post some recipes, ok? I would love to have a couple from her. Doesn't curry come from your part of the world?

Oh Dilip, I have to say we love, love, love the Naan bread. Made my husband a pizza with it last weekend. Fits perfect in a stove top pan and you can use any ingredients, mine was taco pizza, the bread gets crisp, the cheese melts and it's done in 6 minutes! For us Westerners it beats the pants off warming up a whole oven for pizza night. AND I have a bunch made up in the freezer! 

Oh sorry, this was about curry wasn't it?   

10 hours ago, Precision said:

And who can resist Indian Chicken curry with Garam Masala over Basmati rice ?   Delicious   :D   One of our favorites !!!   

 

YES!!! And the recipe is........

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Peanuts said:

Is it Thai curry you like or Indian?

 

This recipe for lamb curry from 'Jamie Oliver The return of the naked chef' is delicious. I know it looks like loads of ingredients but it's really simple.  https://toastedspecial.wordpress.com/2011/06/17/jamie-oliver-peters-lamb-curry-recipe/

i left out cardomen as I don't like it.

 

if I do Thai curry, I generally buy a jar of Thai paste and then add coconut milk. It's generally cheaper that way! 

I honestly don't know the difference between the curry's.

Like I said I did look up his recipes and liked it.  But I just noticed you said Thai paste and coconut milk, that's a good hint, will use that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, bagwell1987 said:

Actually I'm an Asian foodie! I have mung beans sprouting right now, ready for the soups by this weekend, and cabbage, anything with veg of the cabbage family. 

The recipe I have call for shrimp but I have fresh halibut in the freezer so I think I'll use that instead. Have to find out if there's a 'season' for shrimp. Want to buy local.

Interesting comment at the bottom of the Shrimp Curry recipe.  Just remember if you use light coconut milk the flavor that you are after will not be there, basil is used more in traditional Vietnamese recipes.  Kafir lime leaves, might be hard to find.  Halibut would be a excellent shrimp substitute. Experiment and enjoy. Please send us a picture or two of the feast in a few weeks.   :chef:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/9/2016 at 9:15 AM, Peanuts said:

The reply option isn't working right. I just wanted to comment but it keeps coming up with Peanuts info on top. 

Michael, I did notice those things too. I'm going to modify it. The flavor is in the fat so light coconut milk may lack flavor. I think the halibut is lower cal so I think it'll be a good trade off.  And kafir leaves? Nope don't have a market for it here. I'll just use a juicy organic lime.

I will post a pic when I do it. I don't think the mung beans will be done till this weekend so I'll wait till then, interestingly they take longer than other sprouts.

I now have the yellow and the red curry's, I'll do 2 recipes back to back so I can compare. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cheryl, I have only tried mostly the yellow and red curry's and have to say both are really delicious, here is a nice little break down of the different type of curry's and their spiciness.  I have never tried the kafir leaves, organic limes will bring the sweetness out of this dish.

 

Tried to sprout mung beans awhile back, but they didn't turn out so well, I guess they weren't in total darkness. But we have lots of fresh mung bean sprouts available here...just not organic.

 

http://www.traveling9to5.com/2014/04/difference-between-thai-curries/   


Edited by Precision
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10 February 2016 at 5:46 AM, bagwell1987 said:

I honestly don't know the difference between the curry's.

Like I said I did look up his recipes and liked it.  But I just noticed you said Thai paste and coconut milk, that's a good hint, will use that.

Thai curries tend to have a paste made from fresh ingredients as their base, like lemongrass, chilli, garlic, coriander etc. They tend to be quite soup-y. 

indian curries will have fried onion and garlic as a base, with dried, ground spices added.

i think that's right anyway!!

 

i have made this Thai paste before http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/greencurrypaste_67789 it was nice, I didn't need all of it and the rest stored in a jar in the fridge. I fried the paste in a little coconut oil, added my other ingredients (leftover roast chicken and butternut squash ) then added a tin of coconut milk. Served with noodles.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My sprouts aren't in total darkness either, I just have a towel draped over the side of them so they don't get sun. They, like raw almonds, sprout slower. Maybe because they have to sprout bigger than the others.  Here's a pic of them and the bulgua lentils, they're gonna part of breakfast for the next 4 days, there's more there than it looks. 

I wonder what you did wrong with sprouting them? Did you rinse and drain well every day?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice Pix Cheryl, very healthy looking sprouts !  Thanks for sharing.  >:D<

 

I tried to grow mung beans a couple of times to micro-green height in 1 " soil  using trays.  Either we missed a rinsing or it was just too hot in the kitchen.

Black sunflower seeds, broccoli, radish, hard red winter wheat, Dun green peas  and  5 part salad seed mix available from Wheatgrasskits.com in Utah do very well. Handy Pantry is the same company, Also Jaffe Bros. in Valley Center California are another excellent source of high quality organic seed.

 

Where do you find raw organic almond seed ? Most almond seed have been radiated , pasteurized and Monsanto genetically modified.     

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2016-02-09 at 2:23 PM, Precision said:

And who can resist Indian Chicken curry with Garam Masala over Basmati rice ?   Delicious   :D   One of our favorites !!!   

 

I can resist. Replace the fowl bird with pork cubes, then I will eat it.  In fact it does not even have to have pork. A nice veggie curry mildly hot works for me.

Got used to it in late 80's when did some work for some Sikhs.:eat: Don't forget the roti ( chapati ).


Edited by pnutts
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 22.7.20 (changelog)