JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

OK, now for hummus, I saw one with avocado and garbanzo's which appealed to me, (now where was that?). But can you all share your favorite recipe for hummus? I will use it for lightly steamed veggies and rice cracker.  And I like to start with dry bean. I have some soaking now. Would like to make it tomorrow.

I hope we haven't been over this before, I searched but came up with nothing. 

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Funny you should start a Hummus thread!  I was going to make some this week along with homemade pita bread.  I prefer the straight stuff - just garlic, lemon and salt.  The first time I made it I used dried chickpeas and soaked them overnight and all of that jazz, this time I'm going to try to make it from canned chickpeas and see if there is much of a difference.  I know someone who puts a little siracha sauce in the basic recipe for a little spice or some seasoned pepper.  

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

I tried to make pita, ummm, didn't go too well. I struggle with baking. I can make a great loaf of bread and yesterday I made dark chocolate/orange muffins with pecan frosting but the little muff's were dented in in the middle. Told MH close your eyes, you won't see it! 

Back to hummus, I was thinking of canning some chickpeas, I do all the others, maybe make them softer. The dried ones take a bit (like black beans) to soften.  I love sriracha so that sounds good. And I have sprouts I can grind some up and add.  

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Dented in the middle is often not cooked long enough - it's still gooey in the middle thus causing them to sink - that is all. (Some people like gooey in the middle).

Hummus - I've tried to like hummus - but I don't - i think it's the texture as I really like the taste. I just do guacamole with my avos.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

2 hours ago, Stormswift said:

Dented in the middle is often not cooked long enough - it's still gooey in the middle thus causing them to sink - that is all. (Some people like gooey in the middle).

Hummus - I've tried to like hummus - but I don't - i think it's the texture as I really like the taste. I just do guacamole with my avos.

The true texture of hummus should be extremely smooth and creamy, no lumps or graining at all.

I love Houmous! Or hummus whichever way you like to spell it :) 

I did...

1 tin chickpeas (400g)

garlic clove

1 tablespoon tahini paste

2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

squeeze of fresh lemon

pinch of salt

i added a bit of water to get the right consistency too

ive tried it with cannellini beans also.

I made hummus (thanks to Cheryl!) and pita bread today after service.  This time I made it from canned chick peas and I didn't see any difference in taste from when i made it before and soaked the chickpeas from the dry stage overnight.  It all turned out so good that my husband even ate two plates full (and he is the pickiest eater ever!) Pita bread turned out perfectly (let me know if you want the recipe Cheryl).  Can't wait till supper time rolls around and I can have more! YUM!

On 2/20/2016 at 6:17 AM, Peanuts said:

I did...

1 tin chickpeas (400g)

garlic clove

1 tablespoon tahini paste

2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

squeeze of fresh lemon

pinch of salt

i added a bit of water to get the right consistency too

Sister Ana that is exactly my recipe, but I use 2 cloves of garlic instead and have it with Naan bread. (Pita is okay, but I love Naan.)  It is very easy to prepare and sooo satisfying. :) 

• 1 month later...